Virgin Media - is it worth complaining about a misleading offer?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
2 replies 493 views
Chris94Chris94 Forumite
41 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
So I initially signed up to Virgin Media a couple of years ago on a Black Friday deal getting 50mbps (which went up to 100mbps) for £17 a month for the first year. (12 month contract).

At the end of the contract, I received an email from Virgin Media saying if I took out another 12 month contract they'd give me a £7.50 monthly discount. (i.e. So I was paying around £25 per month). They had some terms listed in small print at the bottom of the email but nothing about how long this monthly discount for - hence I assumed it would be for the full 12 month contract.

So I signed up and it was only after agreeing to the new contract that I got taken to a page saying Thank you and the discount would be applied for 6 months. It was not at all clear before this that it was only going to be for 6 months, and I'd have to pay full price for the rest of the contract.

I looked back on the email, and there definitely was nothing to say it was only 6 months, and I followed the link again which took me to the sign up page which contained a link for terms and conditions. And of course after reading through them, it did indeed mention discount was for 6 months. How I missed this the first time, despite actively looking for some mention of how long it was for to avoid being caught out, I don't know.

Anyway, I didn't bother complaining about it at the time, and am now 3/4 of the way through the contract. In my opinion it was incredibly misleading to advertise it as a monthly discount with no mention of it being only for 6 months in the email. Is it worth me complaining about this? Or should I just accept that I may have been duped out of £45? :rotfl:

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume they recently emailed you about a price rise?

You have 30 days from this to ring them up 150 and say it’s too expensive and wish to leave. Then should offer you a deal.
    It will be 12 months and listen very carefully to it and check the contract within 14 days. It’s never the same as you expect!

Or leave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Since you've seen the 6 months mentioned in the T&C's no, I wouldn't bother at all. T&C's aren't there for fun and if you couldn't see how long the deal was for, you should have checked them at the time I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals