Do only BT offer a 50 Mb product?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
11 replies 1.1K views
thrifty_petethrifty_pete Forumite
289 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I've tried a couple of addresses in the MSE comparison tool - and only BT offer an "average 50 Mb" fibre broadband. All the others are 35/6 or 62 Mbit services.
I think 50 Mb with BT might be a better service all things considered than say a 63 Mbit product with a less mainstream supplier like Vodafone. E.g. better customer service and router?
Given the BT service is only competitive in price when you take into account the discount, I would need to expect to change after 18 months. Perhaps I can negotiate a discount at the end of the 18 months? I'm just trying to balance price and hassle. Talk talk is another option as the prices are not discounted so you could stick with them indefinitely.
«1

Replies

  • Only BT offer their 52Mb service, others get 38Mb. Most others also offer the 76Mb service. Obviously speeds will differ depending on location, length of line from exchange etc:



    https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/deals?s_cid=con_ppc_maxus_vidZ60_T1&vendorid=Z60&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI873Ym-vO3QIVzJztCh2J8ACAEAAYASABEgIKhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds


    TT are cheap for a reason. If you wish for your personal data to be compromised not once but now twice so far, go with them, or better still just avoid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What is it you need BB for and how many people are using it? Are the 38Mbps contracts not fast enough?
  • edited 22 September 2018 at 4:08PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September 2018 at 4:08PM
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Only BT offer their 52Mb service, others get 38Mb. Most others also offer the 76Mb service. Obviously speeds will differ depending on location, length of line from exchange etc:



    https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/deals?s_cid=con_ppc_maxus_vidZ60_T1&vendorid=Z60&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI873Ym-vO3QIVzJztCh2J8ACAEAAYASABEgIKhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds


    TT are cheap for a reason. If you wish for your personal data to be compromised not once but now twice so far, go with them, or better still just avoid.

    I could be wrong and I'm seeing an implication that isn't intended , but I think part of this is a bit misleading, there are 3 download speeds available at a wholesale level upto 40, upto 55 and upto 80, BT consumer chose to take and sell the 55 and 80 MB's offerings, the likes of Sky and TT chose to take the upto 40 and 80Mb offerings,there is nothing stopping them taking the 55Mb if they want, they chose not to, this post suggests that BT are favoured with the 55Mb ,and the others 'get' 40, they get 40 because that's what they purchase a a wholesale level, same as BT purchase the 55Mb, the 55Mb costs a little more at a wholesale level, perhaps that's why TT and Sky don't buy it in
    The 'average' in the adverts like 36 are IMHO pointless , if you take an upto 40Mb service and are pretty close to the cab, then you will get 40, irrespective of the 36 in the advert, and similarly live a long way away from the cab you may only get 20Mb, again the 36 is pointless marketing B.S, the OP needs an estimate for their address or phone number , and not bother with the national average any particular provider has to use in adverts, if close enough to the cab , then 55 may be possible ( so obviously 'faster' than a 40Mb service,) but if the distance was such that 38 was the best it could do, then the 40 and 55 services would both provide this
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 is adequate for uhd tv streaming so future proof

    Ping , throttling , exchange capacity are more important than headline speed .
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • edited 22 September 2018 at 4:20PM
    Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    edited 22 September 2018 at 4:20PM
    iniltous wrote: »
    I could be wrong and I'm seeing an implication that isn't intended , but I think part of this is a bit misleading, there are 3 download speeds available at a wholesale level upto 40, upto 55 and upto 80, BT consumer chose to take and sell the 55 and 80 MB's offerings, the likes of Sky and TT chose to take the upto 40 and 80Mb offerings,there is nothing stopping them taking the 55Mb if they want, they chose not to, this post suggests that BT are favoured with the 55Mb ,and the others 'get' 40, they get 40 because that's what they purchase a a wholesale level, same as BT purchase the 55Mb, the 55Mb costs a little more at a wholesale level, perhaps that's why TT and Sky don't buy it in
    The 'average' in the adverts like 36 are IMHO pointless , if you take an upto 40Mb service and are pretty close to the cab, then you will get 40, irrespective of the 36 in the advert, and similarly live a long way away from the cab you may only get 20Mb, again the 36 is pointless marketing B.S, the OP needs an estimate for their address or phone number , and not bother with the national average any particular provider has to use in adverts, if close enough to the cab , then 55 may be possible ( so obviously 'faster' than a 40Mb service,) but if the distance was such that 38 was the best it could do, then the 40 and 55 services would both provide this


    OK I'll reword it for you:

    Only BT currently offer the 52Mb service, others offer 38Mb.....

    As for speed, my location:

    "Estimated line speed: 77Mbps to 80Mbps This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.

    Current line speed: 78Mbps"

    Upload line speed: 18Mbps
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    40 is adequate for uhd tv streaming so future proof

    Ping , throttling , exchange capacity are more important than headline speed .


    Agreed but upload speed can also be important and differs between ISP's and download speeds.
  • thrifty_petethrifty_pete Forumite
    289 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I think I'd be willing to pay 3 quid more a month for 50 Mb over 36 Mb. The upload speeds of 9 Mb are the same for both as far as I can see.
    Two of us would be sharing so if it could allow 2 HD streams that would be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think I'd be willing to pay 3 quid more a month for 50 Mb over 36 Mb. The upload speeds of 9 Mb are the same for both as far as I can see.
    Two of us would be sharing so if it could allow 2 HD streams that would be good.

    If the deal suits yourself then go for it, presuming you get the full (or near full) 50Mbps it's more than fine for HD content and probably fine for 2 UHD streams as long as there's nothing else using it.
  • jb66jb66 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree, I have 3 Tvs at home capable of UHD streaming
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jb66 wrote: »
    Disagree, I have 3 Tvs at home capable of UHD streaming

    Awesome.

    Not sure who or what you're disagreeing with mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals