Tesco Cumbernauld

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
6 replies 3.2K views
nellietheelnellietheel Forumite
64 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Has anyone used the self scan checkouts in Cumbernauld Tesco Extra recently? If so, can you tell me if you had any money off coupons accepted?

I shopped there today for the first time and my bill came to £53. I handed over 2 money off coupons - 1 for £1 off Hipp Organic product and 1 for £0.25 off Yeo Valley product. The cashier initially told me they could only accept coupons if I purchased the product. I then produced an email from Tesco Customer Services which stated that as long as they stocked the product, and the coupons were in-date, they would be accepted. She called over a Supervisor, who then called over a manager who went to check the shelfs and came back to advise that yes, they would accept the coupons. Of course, by this time there were a couple of irate customers behind me.

I'm just wondering if using the self scan check outs would be easier. I have several of the £3 off Joey DVD coupons from Nestle cereal boxes that I would love to use.

Replies

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used self scan tills in my local Tesco Extra and found they go through fine. The last one was £5 off wine or baby things (I won it) and it went through the self scan no problems although I hadn't bought any wine etc.

The only tip is to make sure that it goes right into the slot after you have scanned it, blow on the slot if it doesn't. If there is a problem then the assistant has to come and sort it out and maybe then you might have a problem.
  • Thanks for that. Have just returned from holiday and may visit the store at the weekend.

Have you tried any of the 'Joey DVD' £3 money off coupons? I only ask as they are quite a bit thicker than the usual paper coupons and wondered if they would go through.
  • tryingtobegoodtryingtobegood Forumite
    376 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I use the self scan checkouts in Cumbernauld every week and I have no problem with the coupons. The only thing to look out for is that they are programmed to accept only one coupon from each company. I found that out when I was trying to put through 3 Warburtons coupons, the light comes on for the supervisor to "assist" you...If you Have actually bought the product then she'll override the programme.
    Must learn not to count chickens before they are hatched!!!!:D

Every day is a new challenge not a new problem!:p

SW start 08/01/14 4/21lbs (1st target) :j
  • Thanks for the info Tryingtobegood.

This has become my favourite store and I've used around 10 Joey vouchers at the self scan checkouts so far. I tend to spend around the £8 mark as I'm not sure if it's programmed to accept coupons as a % of total spend. Do you have any info on this?
  • tryingtobegoodtryingtobegood Forumite
    376 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    From memory I think they take 20% of your total spend.
    They also take internet coupons.
    Must learn not to count chickens before they are hatched!!!!:D

Every day is a new challenge not a new problem!:p

SW start 08/01/14 4/21lbs (1st target) :j
  • kivvy5kivvy5 Forumite
    10 Posts
    I work for Tesco and self scan would be much easier and yes you don't need to have the product but as long as tesco stock it theu will accept it. The only time they would not accept it is if it is a tesco coupon itself as they cannot claim any money back for it:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals