New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Legal Cover Insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 826 views
rebelyonrebelyon Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Is it worthwhile adding legal cover to both home AND car insurance or is just adding it to one policy enough?

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot use home insurance legal cover for motor issues and vice versae
  • mgfvvcmgfvvc Forumite
    520 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Standalone policies are likely to be cheaper, e.g bestpricefs and memonline. I couldn't tell you how the service compares.
  • EdGasketTheSecondEdGasketTheSecond Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    They are limited in their usefulness, especially the car ones. There are losts of exclusions and they will only help where the likelyhood of winning a case is good. In other words a no win no fee service would be just as good and you are free to shop around. I've had legal cover in the past but never successfully used it. When I've tried I'm told 'we do not cover that' or 'the 3rd party is not responding you'll have to sue them yourself'!
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are limited in their usefulness, especially the car ones. There are losts of exclusions and they will only help where the likelyhood of winning a case is good. In other words a no win no fee service would be just as good and you are free to shop around. I've had legal cover in the past but never successfully used it. When I've tried I'm told 'we do not cover that' or 'the 3rd party is not responding you'll have to sue them yourself'!

A no win no fee company would generally make a deduction of around 20%

If you have pre paid for Legal Cover there is generally no deduction