New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Insurance Brokers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
6 replies 741 views
wallofbeanswallofbeans Forumite
1K posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi All,

My house is grade 2 listed and getting buildings insurance online is tricky. I've been advised to talk to a broker, and have looked at results close to me via the British Insurance Brokers Association website... but the results are many and they all look as dodgy as each other...

Can anyone help me to narrow the search down by suggesting brokers that they have had a positive experience with? I'm in south London but don't necessarily need to talk to someone local...

Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• paddyandstumpypaddyandstumpy Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid Swinton.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    100.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    NFU and Hiscox are two well-known brands that deal with more unusual properties. A conversation I am going to need to have soon as I move house soon and will no longer be able to use internet sourced plans.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 3 September 2018 at 10:33AM
    wallofbeanswallofbeans Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2018 at 10:33AM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    NFU and Hiscox are two well-known brands that deal with more unusual properties. A conversation I am going to need to have soon as I move house soon and will no longer be able to use internet sourced plans.

I'm already with NFU and am trying to get a better price. I'll have a look at Hiscox though so thanks!

I do also want to try a broker as they will hopefully have a few more ideas and be able to get me a better deal!

EDIT: Just had a look at the Hiscox site and went through their online quote to get an idea and... wow, the price is double what I am paying now! Ouch!
  • wallofbeanswallofbeans Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    No other recommendations of Insurance Brokers for house buildings insurance? Or even brokers that you used for any kind of insurance and thought they did a good job?

I have no experience with them and don't want to be steered in the wrong direction (and charged for it) by a second rate company.

Any experience or advice welcome!
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    100.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    NFU and Hiscox are quality providers. They are experts in the more unusual properties and dont create hassle or blockers. Are you after quality or budget?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wallofbeanswallofbeans Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    dunstonh wrote: »
    NFU and Hiscox are quality providers. They are experts in the more unusual properties and dont create hassle or blockers. Are you after quality or budget?

But they are just insurance companies, aren't they? I am looking for a broker that can give me all the options before I choose to stick with NFU.

My house is one of 30 that has been randomly listed in an estate of 1000 identical properties, and I am currently paying more than twice what home owners at the other end of my street are paying for buildings insurance.

I'm hoping a broker might be able to make sense of that, and advise me on the best level and quality of insurance, at the best possible price. If that turns out to be NFU, then at least I'll know I tried!