Insurance hike for going to Uni ?

My grand daughter is going off to Uni in Sept she and her mother are also moving house . She contacted her car insurance co to inform them of that . She also said she would be keeping her car in a secure parking area ( costing £470) they have told her that they are hiking her insurance by a massive £600 !! That’s on top of what she has paid for a years Ins. This is so unfair and penalises her for being honest as she could have said nothing and just carried on until renewal. She says she ‘googled’ this and found its common ! It’s hard enough , financially for her to go to Uni this is another unfair burden. Anyone else experience this ?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    35K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This is so unfair and penalises her for being honest as she could have said nothing and just carried on until renewal.

That would have been an awful idea if she ever needed to claim or hoped to get car insurance in the future.

There will be other risk factors in play.
  • FlameCloudFlameCloud Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Postcode rating is normally the main issue.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sell the car, when I was at Uni (admittedly that was 40 years ago) I only knew 2 people who ran a car in the whole 3 years I was there.
  • Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Sell the car, when I was at Uni (admittedly that was 40 years ago) I only knew 2 people who ran a car in the whole 3 years I was there.

When I was at uni 18-years ago the majority of people had a car, me included. I think it's pretty commonplace now.
  • Weighty1 wrote: »
    When I was at uni 18-years ago the majority of people had a car, me included. I think it's pretty commonplace now.

Half the 17 year old pupils at our local school have a car.
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    13.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Being a Student is always considered to be a high-risk 'occupation' by insurers. All insurers will quote high premiums for students.

It's almost certainly because their claims databases show that people who are Students make more claims and/or higher claims.

As others say, it would have been a very bad idea to say nothing. If she had an accident (or claim), the insurers would have asked questions and discovered her dishonesty.

Then they would probably refuse to pay her claim, and might put her name on an insurance fraud database - and that database is shared by many insurers.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Weighty1 wrote: »

It might be commonplace, but it's not necessary (neither of my nieces had a car at uni in the last 10 years, and I don't think they suffered unduly).
  • EdGasketTheSecondEdGasketTheSecond Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When I was at Uni I drove a 2.6 litre Rover; insurance was £90; all financed by government grant; happy days :)
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There will be a hike for being a student and possibly a second hike due to the post code and the record of previous claims there.
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mine would have gone up by four figures because my parents lived in ruralshire and my student digs was one of the worst postcodes in the country. She got off lightly. Either keep the car at home home for most of the time or pay the £600. This is no different to any other person moving house to a higher crime area. I'm sure it also works the other way if say a Londoner goes to Keele university.

I'm not entirely sure how insurers get off on this. They must know 99% of students don't declare this. They cannot investigate and refuse to pay out every single one. I daresay they refuse to pay out for a pretty small minority. Yet when people are honest they get charged a fortune, leading to people not declaring and still probably making more claims so they get hit by the higher claim rate but don't get any increased revenue. Doesn't make much sense to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides