Redundancy and car insurance

I am currently on maternity leave, 4 months into it. Not due back to work until January 2019. Just found out I'm being made redundant on 17th September 2018 and my car is up for renewed, I've tried quotes on compare the market etc as I know come 17th September I technically won't be employed however when I renew I will still be employed. What I'm asking is 1) why does it jump so much when you put unemployed and 2) I only have a set amount of money and I'm worried if I tell them 6 days after that I'm redundant they will make me pay more money which I don't have. Is there anyway around it that isn't illegal or invalidate my insurance? Thanks

Replies

• edited 23 August 2018 at 11:22AM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    edited 23 August 2018 at 11:22AM
    1) Different employment status causes different premiums

2) If you can't afford the renewal premium consider paying by monthly installments

It will save you an admin fee if you take out your new policy as unemployed rather than changing it mid term

If you played around getting quotes using different occupation status and used your correct identity bear in mind that the insurers will have picked up this manipulation and will be aware!

Giving different circumstances when doing quotes does trigger anti fraud software.

That's why you often see advice here to use dummy details when playing with quotes like this
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Being unemployed means you have more hours available to use your car than if you were at work all day,.
    Higher usage means more potential for accident .
    Hence higher risk.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber wrote: »
    Being unemployed means you have more hours available to use your car than if you were at work all day,.
    Higher usage means more potential for accident .
    Hence higher risk.

Complete opposite happened to my mum, she was made redundant and the policy was due to end so informed the insurer she was redundant and the quote jumped up by £50,
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Complete opposite happened to my mum, she was made redundant and the policy was due to end so informed the insurer she was redundant and the quote jumped up by £50,
    Your Mum looks to have experienced the same result following redundancy (ie an increase in premium) as is being discussed after being made redundant rather than the opposite??
  • If you are being made redundant while on maternity leave I would spend your energy fighting that first! Is that even allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals