Annual Travel Insurance - Just Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Hi

My wife has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Fortunately it looks like they've caught it early and the prognosis is good.

My query is - we have travel insurance through our bank (smile). In December last year we booked to go to Lapland in December of this year.

Our nominal renewal date is in October, and we have to pay off the balance of the holiday in September.

Currently, the doctor has told us there is no reason we cant go to Lapland with the treatment he is expecting. But my worry is, we pay off the balance in September, but then things take a turn for the worse and we cant go.

Where would we stand insurance wise? Seeing we paid the balance off after diagnosis, and coupled with the fact the 'renewal' is in October?

I know the definitive way of getting an answer is to ring the insuers, but want to know what the likely situation is before I ring them, so I'm armed with the best info!

Thanks for your help

Replies

• edited 18 August 2018 at 7:36AM
    csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2018 at 7:36AM
    as you bought the policy BEFORE the diagnosis it would be valid and you could claim if you can't medically go on holiday before the renewal date, but double check with insurer to make sure
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    With annual policies you normally have to disclose any changes to health immediately

Check your policy wording, but if so that then will mean once disclosed the insurer will either agree to continue cover or not.

If not you will be able to cancel now if you want to and make a successful claim for the cancellation costs

Whether or not they are prepared to renew is a separate issue, and your choices are to wait and see or take out new single trip (or annual) insurance now elsewhere that will cover the new illness
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    as you bought the policy BEFORE the diagnosis it would be valid and you could claim if you can't medically go on holiday, but double check with insurer to make sure
    No - it's an annual policy that ends prior to departure - with annual policies you must disclose all conditions at renewal, irrespective of when the trip was booked, and the insurer can decline to continue if so minded
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals