Reducing Insurance Premiums

I know that car insurance always seems to go up, but I cannot seem to find a good deal at the moment.

I used to have a merc C180 CGI and I was paying £300 a year insurance which I thought was actually pretty good for the type of car it was. I recently did a confused.com quote for a 1.5 engine 59 plate renault megane and the quotes are coming in at about £280 with protected no claims or about £250 without protected. 250 voluntary excess, 3000 miles a year (I hardly use a car but its 3000 of convenience.

How can a megane only be £50 cheaper than a merc to insure?

Ive gone through the "things to reduce your insurance" on this site and I am doing all of them. IS this just another example of rip off britain or are there ways that I am not thinking of. The only thing I cannot do is add a named driver, but them ive no motoring offences anyway.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    109.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How can a megane only be £50 cheaper than a merc to insure?

Insurance is priced on stats. Perhaps merc drivers have less accidents. Old Renaults are not exactly reliable and part supply becomes an issue on them over time. Maybe part supply is better on the merc.
    IS this just another example of rip off britain
    Where is the rip off?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    It's more to do with the chances of you having an accident than it is the type of car you drive.
    Most of the costs insurers pay out are for the damage you do to other people's property and compensation for injury.
    The cost of repairing your car is a small part of your premium, unless you drive a really expensive car.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides