Car stolen by friend

My car was recently stolen and I'm having a bit of a nightmare.

To keep it short I will bullet point the facts:
Car was photographed at my work address as it was to be put up for sale.
Car was parked outside work. Key placed on desk to left side of computer in my office. Car is a weekend car and has it's own key ring.
Car stolen with ease that night (CCTV)
Next morning, car noticed missing and reported to police.
Next morning I dig out the spare keys from home and bring to work. I notice the blades on the keys look different. I take the keys to BMW dealer who confirm the spare key is for my car, but the other is for another car, same kind of car but not mine, hence keys look very similar.
I went through CCTV and the only time anyone in the period between my car being parked up and it being stolen is that evening, by someone who i considered a good friend and was actually helping me with work that night. Footage does not show him handling the key as it's seen from so far away but looks dodgy as you like and is very feasible. This was four hours before car stolen.

There is lots more but that's what matters, the police are reluctant to act as they say it's all circumstantial. I have since had my interview with my insurers and explained everything to them in the same way I have the police (I have no choice, they will get the police report).

Now this person is someone I know well and trust, or at least used to. The key was not visible from outside the office, and he was in my office because i trust him enough to be in here alone, he in fact used to work for me until January this year and left on good terms. I don't allow just anyone in the office on their own.

Insurers have advised 8 weeks to investigate. Am I likely to get paid out or do you think I might get done under the unattended keys clause?

Replies

• marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is this an office with lots of people working there? Or just a few?

Does the CCTV show who drove the car away?
  • No, its a small business, with a small workshop and a small one person office. I was working late into the evening and the person who appears to have swapped the key was actually helping me with some work at the time. I was outside of the unit, and he went into the office, although I had no issue with this as I know him and trust(ed) him. There's a whole load of evidence linking a second person circumstantially but the police are not interested as they said that any defence solicitor would rip it apart.

No ID on person who drove car away, personally I think it's the same person but that's an opinion and not a fact. CCTV was very fuzzy, no lighting to only a night vision image from 20 feet away. Car appears to have been stolen with ease, in a matter of seconds.
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If your story is true your claim should get paid.

Many policies exclude theft involving deception but from your story the keys were stolen rather than obtained via deception.
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Is there no tracking on the BMW?
  • Were these keys in a locked office?
    It does seem irresponsible to leave keys lying round at work , if I was the insurer I'd reject the claim straight away because you didn't keep reasonable care of them !
    There should be a key safe in the office if cars are to be left unused . It isn't even as if someone had to break in to get access to the keys?
  • The main thing here is you need a police report and policy to investigate and possibly charge your "friend"
  • edited 24 August 2018 at 10:26AM
    Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2018 at 10:26AM
    keith1950 wrote: »
    Were these keys in a locked office?
    It does seem irresponsible to leave keys lying round at work , if I was the insurer I'd reject the claim straight away because you didn't keep reasonable care of them !
    There should be a key safe in the office if cars are to be left unused . It isn't even as if someone had to break in to get access to the keys?

Do you keep your car keys in a safe at home or alternatively keep your house locked at all times???????
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals