Insurance claim help please

Due to disability we recently moved into an adapted bungalow.
The council moved us using a firm they contracted out to. An item was damaged and even though the insurers have accepted liability and agreed to pay the claim, they say I have to pay the £50 excess on the policy.
It's not my policy, I'm not claiming through my insurance. Why should I pay an excess ?

Replies

• csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you gone to the council as they helped move your stuff via a contractor
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • I went through the council, they referred me to the removal company who passed me thon the parent company who passed me to their insurers.
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    13.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I went through the council, they referred me to the removal company who passed me thon the parent company who passed me to their insurers.

It sounds like your removal agreement was with the council.

Did the council provide you with any terms and conditions for their removal service - and if so, did the terms mention the £50 excess on insurance claims?

Or did the council tell you that you must accept the removal firm's t&cs - and they gave you a copy which mentioned the £50 excess?

If they didn't, it's not reasonable for you to be charged an excess now.

In these circumstances, I would tell the council that you expect them to pay you the £50 excess, with the rest of your claim paid by the insurers.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals