Hit someones car found out im not insured

I had a minor bump with someone at a roundabout i went into the back of them. I gave over all my details and insurance provider details.

They obviously contacted there insurance who contacted mine, i was so shocked to find out that i infact had no insurance and my claim had been cancelled due to no claims paper work. I had recieved no letter nothing (i know thats not an excuse)

I have never been in trouble with the police this is my first accident ive never even had a speeding ticket. Im really worried. What should i do? And what is going to happen now?:(:(

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• Insure yourself immediately , pay for the repairs to the other party out of your own pocket without delay and hope the police themselves don't get involved.
  • SadhatSadhat Forumite
    2 Posts
    If they do get involved what will happen? Will i loose my licence?
  • If you could get away with a fixed penalty notice it would be £300 fine and 6 points.....fingers crossed they don't.....just make sure you do everything you can to keep the other party happy!
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Inform your new Insurers of the claim against you!
  • angrycrowangrycrow Forumite
    1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Whilst the initially post is not very clear I suspect the op is trying to explain their insurance was cancelled for failure to provide proof of no claims bonus. Certain insurers are a nightmare for losing ncb proof and then cancelling the insurance without following the correct process.

When an insurer cancels a policy they must inform you in writing. If you received no warning of the cancellation and you did provide the required proof of bonus raise a formal complaint putting them to strict proof they followed the cancellation process to the letter. If the response is inadequate or they fail to resolve it in 8 weeks escalate it to the ombudsman.
  • marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    angrycrow wrote: »

When an insurer cancels a policy they must inform you in writing. If you received no warning of the cancellation and you did provide the required proof of bonus raise a formal complaint putting them to strict proof they followed the cancellation process to the letter. If the response is inadequate or they fail to resolve it in 8 weeks escalate it to the ombudsman.
    This.

Try to get the cancellation removed from your record - ot it'll be a nightmare forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals