PPI not reviewed due to time limits

Options
Hi there,

I would like some advice on a letter I have received from my bank. Due to the adverts recently saying that there is a deadline to claim PPI I decided to look into a bank loan I had back in 2007. I found some old loan paperwork that had the account number on it but had nothing else to prove if I had PPI or not so I went onto the bank website and filled in their form with my information to find out if I had ever had PPI. A few weeks later I received a letter from the bank, not saying if I had PPI or not but with a long questionnaire asking for lengthy answers to questions. Entirely my fault but I kind of glanced at it and put it on the "I will fill this in and send it back when I get a chance" pile. With a newborn and a toddler it just wasn't a priority, especially as I hadn't read the covering letter that said send it back within 28 days.

Fast forward 2 months to today, I have received a letter saying that they had sent me a letter in 2014 to say that I had paid PPI and I would need to reclaim. I have no knowledge of this letter and had I received a letter saying you have paid PPI on this loan I would not have been filling in a form to find out if I had PPI! They say that because of the time limits I will no longer be able to make a claim as the loan was over 6 years ago and I was made aware of the PPI in 2014 so it's over 3 years that I would have been aware of this.

They have offered a settlement for unfair relationship due to commission however I don't want to just accept this before checking that there is nothing more I can do to claim back the rest of the money paid. As far as I am concerned today is the first time that I have been sent any information about the amount of PPI I have paid on this loan so from my point of view the 3 years should start from today.

Just wondering if I have any kind of claim to complain about the time limits. I am not one to just accept a settlement without checking that they haven't just fobbed me off as even though it's not huge amounts of money I don't think it's morally fair. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I am concerned today is the first time that I have been sent any information about the amount of PPI I have paid on this loan so from my point of view the 3 years should start from today.

Have you changed address since that period?

If the address is unchanged then the letter is assumed received. If you have changed address, then this is a grey area as I have heard of the FOS overruling the timebar as the address change meant it wasnt received and another rejecting it as the banks T&C required the person to keep the address up-to-date.
    Just wondering if I have any kind of claim to complain about the time limits.

Not unless you have changed address.

In reality, you probably did get it. People forget post that is unimportant to them. Indeed, just this afternoon I took a phone call from someone querying something. I sent her a letter in June about it. She said she didnt get anything. Then after giving some prompts about what it looked like, she remembered it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Cazilou
    Cazilou Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I have changed address since paying off the loan, before this letter was sent in 2014. I have also moved house in 2015 after this letter was sent. I still have accounts with the bank and have always kept my address updated with them. If I did receive a letter it didn't say that it took out PPI as I have always wondered just never gotten around to checking until now, if I had read a letter that said I had it I'm sure I would remember. It might have said "you could possibly have PPI you need to check now" in which case I would have discounted it as over the years I have almost become immune to PPI advertising you hear it so often! Ah well at least something is better than nothing and it will help towards paying for my holidays! A good lesson that I must read letters more thoroughly when I receive them and not leave everything til it's too late!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure