questions on dentists

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
5 replies 950 views
March2012March2012 Forumite
487 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
1- i recently had a tooth done at a dental hospital. I asked if could get a copy of the x ray and they mentioned that it was not really a good idea as the new dentist in the practise should do their own and analyse stuff at their end. thoughts?
2- I may need a crown or 2 I am wondering if anyone has gone abroad to do this and their thoughts on it? also what are the prices of dentistry nowadays from crowns to hygienist to fillings etc as I am finding dentists very reluctant to give out prices. any tips appreciated. thanking you in advance.

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. A sensible answer, things can change in a short time.

2. A list oh nhs charges should be displayed at every dentist surgery
    Along with a list of private charges of that particular practice. It can vary widely

Also you could ask about dental plans
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you're talking about private prices?

Most dental practices should have some sort of guide price on their website on their prices - but it will often say 'prices from...' or similar.

There are loads of different types of crown though, and depending on where it is, how strong it needs to be, how aesthetic it needs to be and any other preferences you might have for it will all affect how much the crown you want/need will cost.

It's really not as simple as ringing up and saying 'how much do you charge for a crown?' and then picking the cheapest place. There may also be other work you need, or the tooth may need more work on it before the crown can be provided - so no-one can give you an honest price without examining you first. That includes somewhere abroad.

Had you mentioned to the hospital that you were thinking of going abroad? That might have made them reluctant to let you have the x-ray. It is extremely difficult to sue a medical establishment abroad if you have been a medical tourist - you will need local solicitors versed in the law of the country you have it done in.

If someone had given you an x-ray knowing that you were going to send it to a foreign clinic - then it is possible to argue that they were complicit in your treatment, and so they would be much easier to sue!!!

By the same token, you may well find it difficult getting treatment in this country if something done abroad goes wrong.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're talking about private prices?

Most dental practices should have some sort of guide price on their website on their prices - but it will often say 'prices from...' or similar.

There are loads of different types of crown though, and depending on where it is, how strong it needs to be, how aesthetic it needs to be and any other preferences you might have for it will all affect how much the crown you want/need will cost.

It's really not as simple as ringing up and saying 'how much do you charge for a crown?' and then picking the cheapest place. There may also be other work you need, or the tooth may need more work on it before the crown can be provided - so no-one can give you an honest price without examining you first. That includes somewhere abroad.

Had you mentioned to the hospital that you were thinking of going abroad? That might have made them reluctant to let you have the x-ray. It is extremely difficult to sue a medical establishment abroad if you have been a medical tourist - you will need local solicitors versed in the law of the country you have it done in.

If someone had given you an x-ray knowing that you were going to send it to a foreign clinic - then it is possible to argue that they were complicit in your treatment, and so they would be much easier to sue!!!

By the same token, you may well find it difficult getting treatment in this country if something done abroad goes wrong.

That may well be true but surely the OP has a right to a free copy of his records, including X-Rays, as confirmed by the dentists responding to my recent thread?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5870374
  • March2012March2012 Forumite
    487 Posts
    hi thank you for responses did not even mention going abroad!
  • brook2jackbrook2jack Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair the computer systems in general dental practice are set up to make letter printing etc fairly easy as the information is controlled on site by only a few people.

In hospital there are protocols set up to stop unauthorised printing of patient details etc so getting a copy of notes will need a bit more effort and paperwork , the copying will be done centrally and need to be authorised and checked by a clinician and so alot more work for all concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals