Business Phone Line - Advice Needed!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
4 replies 969 views
g4_joshg4_josh Forumite
6 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
I am a sole trader, running a small business from home. I currently have a BT business line which is working out very expensive. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert this line to a home phone line and then route all my calls through call18866?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• not sure on policy for converting from business line to phone. But, I set up a second line for my business by using BT Twintalk.
    http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bt_twin_talk.htm

Cost about £25 and is about £1.95 a month or something. You get a second number and can hook up another phone. Its very easy to set up and use and I've found it really useful - much cheaper than actually having a second line installed. And I can use 18866 or Voip or anything else I want to.
    Only slight drawback is if one phone is in use - u cant make calls on the other.
  • pricefighterpricefighter Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    I assume you need to keep your number.Tell BT you want to change it to a home phone and save on rental if BT will do it.Or leave it as it is for a while.Either way you can register it for 18866.Quite a few businesses already use the service.
    PF.
  • wealthsaverwealthsaver Forumite
    167 Posts
    g4_josh wrote:
    I am a sole trader, running a small business from home. I currently have a BT business line which is working out very expensive. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert this line to a home phone line and then route all my calls through call18866?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Why not cancel your business line and subscribe for BT's distinctive ring on your home phone line. BT call it callsign. You are issued with a different number in addition to your existing number which when people ring sounds the phone ringer differently. Of course then you can route o/g calls through any provider you wish.

From http://www.bt.com
    >What's the benefit?
    If you're tired of being your children's receptionist or fed up of answering other people's calls then Call Sign is just what you're looking for. You'll know who the call is for, or who is calling because calls from certain numbers will have a different ring tone.

How does it work?
    We'll give you an additional number for your phone, which will have a separate ringing tone when it is called. Who you give your Call Sign number to is down to you. It could be your youngster's friends, so you always know if a call is for them. It could just as easily be an elderly relative, so you immediately know it's them when the phone rings. You can also use it to separate business calls or calls from fax machines.

How much will it cost me?
    Call Sign costs £1.75 (incl. VAT) per month and is also available as part of a Calling Features Pack
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not cancel your business line and subscribe for BT's distinctive ring on your home phone line. BT call it callsign. You are issued with a different number in addition to your existing number which when people ring sounds the phone ringer differently. Of course then you can route o/g calls through any provider you wish.

I did this when I moved house and set up my own business working from home. However, what I made certain I did, was use the main number as my business number, and the second number assigned for call-sign is my personal number which I give out to friends and family. That way, if people have caller display or use 1471, the business calls you make will be giving out the right number. I also use 18866.co.uk which is good in that it allows you to have detailed invoices so that you can assign the charges to personal or business use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides