Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Anyone fed up with the heatwave? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Anyone fed up with the heatwave?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
201 replies 19.1K views

Replies

• GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K posts
    We spend part of every year in Australia. In my experience, while air con is commonly used in shops and offices, not every domestic house has it and even if they do, it only gets turned on when it gets really warm, usually at night. Lots of ceiling fans though and people get up early.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
  • edited 8 July 2018 at 10:16AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K posts
    edited 8 July 2018 at 10:16AM
    June was an exceptionally dry month for England and Wales, following a dry spring.

2018_6_Rainfall_Actual.gif

Temperatures were high, but I expect the first part of June wasn't as hot.

2018_6_MeanTemp_Actual.gif

In recent weeks I think the North and West have received hottest weather relative to normal, hence the records that have been broken are there.

Glasgow (United Kingdom) max. 31.9
    Belfast Airport (United Kingdom) max. 29.5
    Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom) max. 29.9
    Castlederg (United Kingdom) max. 30.2
    Shannon (Ireland) max. 32
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. It is cold in this country so much I am thankful for the warmth.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bolistonboliston Forumite
    3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    FBaby wrote: »
    This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them? Don't worry, the dreadful summers will be back next year and many afterwards and all will moan about the cost of travel abroad because after all, we all deserve to go and get some sunshine!

I would not want to pay to be even hotter! I love going abroad but generally choose destinations and times where i will not be cooked such as copenhagen in september (still t shirt & shorts weather but not actually feeling like being griddled)
  • SpidernickSpidernick Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A 'dry spring', Cepheus?! In all my life I have never known as much rain in the spring as this year! Did you mistype?
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years later we lived in Germany...strict laws on working in the heat (schools and work would close if the temperature rose too high)...afternoon 'quiet times' were strictly observed - some places the town centre simply shut down for an hour or two - no shops open, no cafes

Now I live in the UK, by the sea...the very second that the sun peeps out then folks are stripping off, burning themselves lobster red, dehydrating and then rehydrating by quaffing pints of chilled beer and alcopos...and every year there are warnings about seabathing (especially in one area) and EVERY year the warnings are ignored (with tragic results on occasion)….. I really don't 'get' the British attitude to summer!...but the same folks cone back year after year and say they have had a fantastic holiday...and it brings in much needed revenue to an economically-dying town, so I guess it has its benefits too!

You mean exactly how Germans behave when they go abroad to southern Europe then?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spidernick wrote: »
    A 'dry spring', Cepheus?! In all my life I have never known as much rain in the spring as this year! Did you mistype?

Depends where you live. Some areas have had huge storms and downfalls, others areas have had very little rain.

Met weather define spring is April May and June.

Where I am it snowed heavily in March and over Easter which was just into April. May day holiday was one of the warmest on record.

Not much rain after Easter, a few mm in May and none in June and so far no sign of any rain in July.
  • Mrs_ArcanumMrs_Arcanum Forumite
    24K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Huge floods and downpours do not benefit the ground the way normal spring rains do.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    FBaby wrote: »
    This is exceptional, so instead of moaning about it, how about trying to see the positives that come with it and make the best of them?

I genuinely can't think of a single positive. Big fan of the usual English 'crappy' summers here.

I've been in 45 degree heat in some places, this feels worse.
  • A_Flock_Of_SheepA_Flock_Of_Sheep Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think I might book a vacation to Reykjavic.

Weather there seems much nicer.