IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Insuring two cars

in Motoring
12 replies 1.5K views
Can I insure two different cars at two different addresses and get my full NCD on both ?

Thanks.

Replies

• WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Probably not, you can insure multiple cars at a single address and it only makes economic sense when there are quite a few cars, just 2 probably not worth it. Still there's no harm in asking.
  • Basically No - your NCD is earned on one car and so is only valid on one car.
  • However many companies will give you an "introductory bonus" which is equivalent to the NCB on the main car providing you've 5 years or more NCB.

I currently insure two cars and get effectively the same discount on the second.
  • Well I genuinely have two valid addresses.On flat in town and other house in the country.The town flat is shared with my brother.
  • No you can't.

I have 2 addresses (same as you) and 2 cars, but they're both insured at one address using 2 lots of NCB.

I take it your brother drives the other car and you drive yours?
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • No my brother doesn't drive and is abroad most of the year.

I'm happy to put both cars at one address if I can get NCD on both.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Do you notice that I said "probably not" and others have stated as though it were fact that "you can't do this", "you can't do that". Yet the link I provided has already shown one user above to be incorrect.

Phone them up and ask for a quote, you might get lucky.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    No you can't.

I have 2 addresses (same as you) and 2 cars, but they're both insured at one address using 2 lots of NCB.

I take it your brother drives the other car and you drive yours?

If one of those cars is normally kept somewhere else, you had better be sure that your insurer knows this.
  • Wig wrote: »
    If one of those cars is normally kept somewhere else, you had better be sure that your insurer knows this.

I used to work in insurance ;)

I use them both for commuting between the 2 places, and they're parked securely in each place. I'm in 1 place 4 days a week and the other 3 days. I guess I use the cars about the same amount (actually, from the mileage that's right). The insurer is happy.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    I used to work in insurance ;)

I use them both for commuting between the 2 places, and they're parked securely in each place. I'm in 1 place 4 days a week and the other 3 days. I guess I use the cars about the same amount (actually, from the mileage that's right). The insurer is happy.

And the example given by you, basically shows what the OP wants can be done. She(?) will have one policy for two cars with the policy holder address being 1 address, and just inform the insurer that one of the two cars will be normally kept at another address.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals