Lawn weed spraying

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 962 views
NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
2.8K Posts
Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I would like to spray my lawn with selective weedkiller using a pressure sprayer, problem is I generally use it for spraying the patio and drive with Resolva Xtra Tough which is very effective at killing grass.

How thoroughly do i need to rinse out the sprayer to remove any residue of Resolva before spraying with the selective weedkiller? Will just filling with clean water and pouring away be sufficient?

Replies

• DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would do at least three rinse-outs, and ensure I had also washed out the sprayer line and head.

Use a little washing up liquid in the first wash, rinse thereafter until bubbles gone.

It would be ideal to have entirely separate sprayers, and the can be got for fifteen quid, but finding will probably be fine.

As I point out on another thread, currently below, put any weedkiller on your lawn at the moment, however selective, and you risk some damage to the grass with the heat we are going to have over the next week or so...
  • Adding a little caution here to be Very Careful if any of the adjoining gardens are organically cultivated (particularly if most of what is being grown there is food) - or you're likely to have the neighbour out there watching very anxiously in case there is any "drift" from inaccurate spraying and/or the wind coming over onto their plants.

I've certainly felt very anxious as to just what caused a couple of my plants to go yellow in the way they did - and do eat my organic food absolutely regardless (even that planted bang on my borders - which is where most of it has had to be planted, given the layout of my garden).......
  • NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, think I'll play it safe and buy a second sprayer purely for the lawn. I only ever spray when there's next to no wind so hopefully none should make it's way into either of the neighbours' gardens.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You really could wash the sprayer more than sufficiently to do the lawn, and as you're not going to be using it on the lawn regularly it won't be all that much faff. Give it a general clean with a scotch pad and fairy, after having given it a triple rinse through with water, a couple of litres, pumped up and sprayed out through the nozzle. Then rinse it out again to get rid of the fairy and off you go.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switch between selective and non-selective regularly, using a cleaning regime just like Dafty's.

I never have a problem, nor do I experience spay drift of more than a few cm, as I'm not prone to wave the lance around above my head!
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals