Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

New death & critical illness cover policies - what to declare?

New Post Advanced Search

New death & critical illness cover policies - what to declare?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
1 reply 514 views
LCFC_FoxileLCFC_Foxile Forumite
127 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi fellow MSErs,

I'm in the process of moving home & at the same time, reviewing my death & critical illness cover policies.

During a routine check-up a couple years ago, my cholesterol & blood pressure were both higher than normal.

A combination of blood pressure medication for a few weeks, in addition to changes to my diet, lowered my weight & subsequently my cholesterol & blood pressure.

I last had a check of both again around 18 months ago, after which the doc gave me a clean bill of health (& unchecked since). So, a few questions...

1. Can someone knowledgeable advise if I need to declare the above for any new policies I'd be taking up?

2. I'm assuming that a future claim could be invalidated if the insurance company find something from my doctor's records that I hadn't mentioned earlier (that occurred before I took up the policy)?

3. An indication of what premiums could rise by if I declare my condition from a couple of years ago, would also be useful.

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    105.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Can someone knowledgeable advise if I need to declare the above for any new policies I'd be taking up?

yes
    2. I'm assuming that a future claim could be invalidated if the insurance company find something from my doctor's records that I hadn't mentioned earlier (that occurred before I took up the policy)?

If you fail to answer the questions as asked, then the policy could be invalidated if it appears you did it fraudulently.
    3. An indication of what premiums could rise by if I declare my condition from a couple of years ago, would also be useful.

your IFA or mortgage broker (whoever you are using) would be able to answer that as it will depend on the provider used (they can speak to the underwriters directly and ask them how they are going to treat it)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.