Home Insurance - State of the market

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 395 views
silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
3.3K posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I've just had my renewal notice for my home and contents insurance.
It's an increase of 16.5%, which if repeated annually would be a doubling in less than 5 years!

Before I start the tedious process of getting quotes are there any market conditions currently (cost of building materials, increased crime etc.) that would in any way justify such a large increase?

For the cynics amongst you, yes, last year was my first year with the provider..

Replies

• DavidT67DavidT67 Forumite
    179 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Nine times out of ten renewal quotes are uncompetitive. The insurer is hoping to make a quick profit from customer inertia.
    Get yourself to a comparison site, find the best quote for like for like cover, then phone your insurer and negotiate.
    More times than not they will reduce the price and match a quote rather than lose a customer.
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good point. Maybe I'll just make up a number around inflation more than last year and negotiate on that basis - save me some time.:D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support