New Flat, Advice for Broadband and Landline Provider

Options
Moving into a brand new flat this week and am looking to get an internet connection and phone connection set up fairly soon.

Just need the broadband for surfing on the internet a couple of hours a day. And will use the house phone not for very long calls.

Would like a fairly reliable provider - don't want to have to be calling them up every month but don't want to pay more than necessary.

Any advice on good offers around at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want a landline, and you don't live in Hull, then you have to get it from BT.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi.
    From my experience, find out first whether the last people living there had broadband; if so it could be a long wait as you will need a code to stop their line before you can order yours; and it can take months; mine took 6 weeks and many many many phone calls; apparently sometimes it can take up to a year. Even if the line is with the same supplier - totally nonsense and it drove me bonkers - so please check it out as soon as you can
  • united4ever
    Options
    Hi, the flat is a new build so nobody will have lived there - hopefully that will prevent the problem above. I don't live in Hull, so i will be getting a BT landline but I can use another provider right? I was thinking of the Talk Talk option 3 for unlimited calls in the uk to landlines (i think) and broadband for 20 pounds. I've heard bad things about talk talk, but I've heard bad things about BT as well, and Virgin too.
  • tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    get BT phone line. Get the call router which allows you to route calls to the cheapest place. Primus for free evening and weekend calls and depending on what you want from broadband go to BE* for their value product at £14.
  • united4ever
    Options
    tomthered wrote: »
    get BT phone line. Get the call router which allows you to route calls to the cheapest place. Primus for free evening and weekend calls and depending on what you want from broadband go to BE* for their value product at £14.

This call router sounds interesting, never heard of it before, where do I buy one/how do I set one up? any links?

Just having a look at BE broadband too.

Thanks for your help
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls

Read the above thread first of all.

Personally I pay BT for line rental, Primus is CPS with free evening/weekend calls to landlines.
    I call mobiles from home using http://www.18185.co.uk/index2.php

Great post at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1598074&postcount=4

REMEMBER: If you move from BT onto a BB/phone package and it doesn't work out there will be a hefty charge to return to a BT line, factor this in to your calculations.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Tomsdad_2
    Options
    I'm a bit of a broadband novice but couldn't stress enough how careful I think you've to be before picking a broadband provider.

I signed up for this site following a great piece on Broadband on Radio One. It really cleared up my dizziness around the subject.

What a nightmare I've had trying to follow-up the good advice given.

I tried all ways to get switched to BT so as to move to the Talktalk3 that came out tops in your survey but they could not care less.

Even trying to speak to someone to talk about moving back took three days and then she just said 'are you prepared to pay £200 to come back to us?' going on to explain the cost of switching me back on and the charges for leaving them for Talktalk.

So I'm still stuck paying through the nose at Virgin.

I feel better for my rant but none the wiser as to how best to get a sensibly priced move to a cheaper provider.

Andrew
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure