edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 631 views
delmontadelmonta Forumite
355 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi

I normally get cheap car insurance with someone like Hastings direct, and its around £200 to £250 for the year. But cancelling normally costs a fair chunk of that.

I am only in the country for a few months, and will almost certainly cancel my policy after 2 to 4 months. I was wondering if there are any insurers who offer insurance for shorter terms, or have smaller or no cancellation policies?

Thanks

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can get short term insurance, have you googled?
    Don!!!8217;t expect it to be pro-rata as clearly the set up costs, marketing, admin are the same.
    No cancellation fees are unlikely as there is a big motivation to get premium prices as cheap as possible to compete, but some are more reasonable than others.
  • delmontadelmonta Forumite
    355 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks, yeah I did look but it most of it seems to be done on a daily basis for people on holiday. I didint see anything that was monthly for instance with no cancellation fees.

I'm guessing it will end up probably working out similar, as it will surely be more expensive.

Can you point me in the right direction, as googling short term car insurance seems to lead to just 1 to 30 days

• beckysheffieldbeckysheffield Forumite
    232 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Are you buying a car or borrowing?

I paid £60 for two days cover... if you can get cover for that amount (£200) , take it?
  • delmontadelmonta Forumite
    355 posts
    ✭✭
    I own the car, its been sitting off road for a while.

Yeah its about £230 for a year, which is what I usually get it for. But then they charge £50 or more to cancel. So I wondered if it was cheaper to look for shorter insurance, but i also imagined it was unlikely