Paying off credit card whilst abroad

in Credit Cards
13 replies 2K views
SteveJWSteveJW Forumite
602 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Have a Halifax Clarity card and going for an extended holiday abroad, has anyone had any problems paying their credit card whilst abroad. For example my doctors system will not allow me to book appointments or order medication whilst abroad

Thanks

Steve

Replies

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you pay?

A direct debit from your bank is unaffected by your own location.

For paying manually by bank transfer, access to your bank account online or by phone app is not geographically restricted.

To overcome your doctor's system you can use a VPN set to UK.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • SteveJWSteveJW Forumite
    602 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks eDicky
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SteveJW wrote: »
    Have a Halifax Clarity card and going for an extended holiday abroad, has anyone had any problems paying their credit card whilst abroad.

Nope, never. I use "faster pay" from my Nationwide account. Sometimes the banking sites are slower from overseas. Also I've been caught out a couple of times by "overnight" site down time which is daytime where I am.
    For example my doctors system will not allow me to book appointments or order medication whilst abroad

Oh how silly. Typical state run "service".
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use your UK mobile (data not wifi) then it will have a UK IP address.
    Cost can be an issue outside the EEA or other inclusive roaming locations.
  • guesswho2000guesswho2000 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    If you use your UK mobile (data not wifi) then it will have a UK IP address.
    Cost can be an issue outside the EEA or other inclusive roaming locations.

Not unless you're using a VPN it won't. Remember when you roam you're using a different carrier, and their infrastructure, it doesn't route everything back to the UK first (the exception being Voicemail - incoming call to UK number routes to foreign network, no answer diverts call back to UK voicemail number).
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unless you're using a VPN it won't. Remember when you roam you're using a different carrier, and their infrastructure, it doesn't route everything back to the UK first (the exception being Voicemail - incoming call to UK number routes to foreign network, no answer diverts call back to UK voicemail number).

Yes, it will.
    Roamed data is always routed via the home network APN ;)
  • redpeteredpete Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another way will be to use the number for calling your bank's telephone banking service from abroad.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Emily_JoyEmily_Joy Forumite
    549 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Have a Halifax Clarity card and going for an extended holiday abroad, has anyone had any problems paying their credit card whilst abroad. For example my doctors system will not allow me to book appointments or order medication whilst abroad.

It all depends on the location. I didn't have any problems within EU. In China or South Africa I have had to use telephone banking. I used Skype for phone calls then.
  • guesswho2000guesswho2000 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it will.

My mistake, it seems, I didn't know that! As it happens I'll be overseas soon, I'll have to see it for myself!
  • edited 2 June 2018 at 1:26PM
    chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 June 2018 at 1:26PM
    Yes, it will.
    My mistake, it seems, I didn't know that! As it happens I'll be overseas soon, I'll have to see it for myself!

I've found that websites that previously worked on my phone didn't work when I was overseas. Likewise, my foreign SIMs have worked in the UK on sites (eg BBC iplayer) that are not accessible overseas.

It just doesn't seem to make sense that all data is routed to the UK and back out again. I've been in places such as Vietnam and Taiwan which are (or at least were) relatively poorly connected internationally. When they've had particular problems (eg cables being broken), international websites have been almost impossible to reach whilst domestic sites have been fine. The performance was always the same, whether on my UK phone or local phone. If data was routed back to the UK first, then my UK phone would be hopeless, even for domestic sites.

I can believe that at some other level there is something going back to the UK regularly, if nothing else so that data can be promptly turned off if you exceed allowances etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides