Travel Credit Card - Visa or Mastercard

in Credit Cards
9 replies 1.3K views
CG2017CG2017 Forumite
40 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts
Good evening everyone

We go on holiday in a few months and we are just trying to plan our spending.

I am unsure whether to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Travelcard (Visa) as there are no fees on cash or spending, but the exchange rate wont be as good as a Mastercard

Or. to apply for a travel master card (i'm unsure if we will be accepted for the Halifax Clarity card but I think there are some others) and take some cash as there is a charge on cash withdrawals?

Any feedback would be very welcome :j

Replies

• Hi
    I have a Halifax Clarity card following advice from MSE. It works exactly as promised with one exception - we spend a couple of months in the Algarve every year and have found that the card is not accepted in a number of retail outlets, returning a message of card invalid or not accepted or not authorised ..... can't remember the exact text, but result the same. One assistant said 'we always have problems with these blue cards from the UK'. It seems that it may be something from the Halifax side as the shops where the card is rejected tend to be small establishments, and maybe not recognised by the Halifax? I asked the question of the Halifax and was told that their card is accepted everywhere?? I haven't got around to putting the question in writing yet. So we use another MasterCard in these instances and also take some cash with us as there are restaurants that only accept cash.
    Hope this helps!
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disregard the difference between MasterCard and Visa exchange rates, it's relatively insignificant. Avoiding the ~3% cost of using regular cards or exchanging cash is the main point.

Taking one of each would be best, and you should never rely on only one card anyway - any card can sometimes fail for obscure reasons, as Savvybird's story illustrates, or be lost or stolen etc.

Apart from credit cards there's Starling Bank, Monzo, Loot prepaid {all MasterCard} and Revolut {usually Visa}.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • MarchitielloMarchitiello Forumite
    531 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Creation everyday is a MasterCard with Zero Forex as there is a Santander Zero.

With regards to Halifax being accepted, it would not be due to the card being issued by Halifax but most probably to the card type and potential different fee charged to the retailer. Although it has no World or World Elite written on it, I suspect the card number correspond to some sort of semi-Premium MasterCard that result in retailers being charged higher fee, so they have the option to simply set up their system to reject it.
  • kuratowskikuratowski Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The two credit cards I have with no foreign currency fees are B Credit Card (Mastercard) and Nationwide Select Account (Visa, you have to be a current account holder).

FWIW, I would always change some cash and take it with me, I do not recommend ever withdrawing cash on a credit card, irrespective of whether they charge conversion fees.
  • armisticearmistice Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    knightfox wrote: »

You cant apply for that one though, only for existing cardholders of MBNA's airline cards which are being replaced.
  • Alexd52Alexd52 Forumite
    313 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The main difference between the clarity and barclaycard travel card is the former charges interest for foreign cash withdrawal immediately, whereas the latter treats foreign cash withdrawals the same as purchases.
  • dresdendavedresdendave Forumite
    883 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    kuratowski wrote: »

FWIW, I would always change some cash and take it with me, I do not recommend ever withdrawing cash on a credit card, irrespective of whether they charge conversion fees.

It's your choice but you will almost certainly be paying more for your FX if you change it here rather than from an ATM abroad using a Clarity card.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Creation everyday is a MasterCard with Zero Forex as there is a Santander Zero.

With regards to Halifax being accepted, it would not be due to the card being issued by Halifax but most probably to the card type and potential different fee charged to the retailer. Although it has no World or World Elite written on it, I suspect the card number correspond to some sort of semi-Premium MasterCard that result in retailers being charged higher fee, so they have the option to simply set up their system to reject it.

Almost certainly doesn't apply as the EEA/EU interchange fees are capped by type i.e. credit or debit - no extra for premium cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides