appeal a declined CC application?

New Post Advanced Search

appeal a declined CC application?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
9 replies 1.3K views
MoneySavingAtWorkMoneySavingAtWork Forumite
26 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I'm just curious if anyone has ever attempted to appeal a declined credit card application? Is it something worth doing if you can prove a high level of financial responsibility and a spotless track record?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have, occasionally with success.
  • GM1880GM1880 Forumite
    169 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    i'd imagine it's pretty rare. If's their prerogative, no one can force someone into lending you money.

Plenty more fish in the sea if you're declined, but feel as though you have good credit history. If you are a good candidate for credit, you'll get some with someone else, their loss.
  • blatchpblatchp Forumite
    12 posts
    Second Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Worth an appeal - it could simply be a mismatch with your address - if the card provider can't place you where you say you live they will usually decline.
  • GM1880GM1880 Forumite
    169 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    blatchp wrote: »
    Worth an appeal - it could simply be a mismatch with your address - if the card provider can't place you where you say you live they will usually decline.

True, but that's more than likely a question of not being on the electoral role/having other credit accounts at the same address etc. which means you less likely to be a good candidate for credit.
  • Missus_HydeMissus_Hyde Forumite
    517 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    GM1880 wrote: »
    Plenty more fish in the sea if you're declined, but feel as though you have good credit history. If you are a good candidate for credit, you'll get some with someone else, their loss.

My sentiments exactly; I very seldom get declined, but would never bother chasing a bank when they obviously didn't want my custom.

As you've said, their loss! ;):p
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
  • RichL74RichL74 Forumite
    936 posts
    I'm just curious if anyone has ever attempted to appeal a declined credit card application? Is it something worth doing if you can prove a high level of financial responsibility and a spotless track record?

No because you quite simply didn't meet their criteria regardless of your high levels of responsibility and track record.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't lower myself and beg. I would take my business elsewhere.
  • WillyWongaWillyWonga Forumite
    324 posts
    Banks nowadays have sophisticated credit scoring systems which go against what your credit score say. The 999 pay on time no interest paid customer is of no use to them and costs them money to administer. Whereas someone with a history of maxing out cards, paying interest but still paying on time is what they are after.

Don’t bother appealing - take your business elsewhere. Different banks want different sort of customer
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    but would never bother chasing a bank when they obviously didn't want my custom.
    RichL74 wrote: »
    No because you quite simply didn't meet their criteria regardless of your high levels of responsibility and track record.
    WillyWonga wrote: »
    Don!!!8217;t bother appealing - take your business elsewhere. Different banks want different sort of customer

The above MIGHT be true, but we don't know. The OP may very well be the "sort of customer" they want - just something went wrong in the automated process or there wasn't the room in the online application for information that would be of interest to the lender. Hence the right to have an application manually reconsidered. Certainly we've had posts here from people that have been successful.
    WillyWonga wrote: »
    The 999 pay on time no interest paid customer is of no use to them and costs them money to administer.

I'm sure many get accepted despite having 999 credit scores, always paying on time etc. CCs still make money on merchant fees. Through the relationship have the chance of selling other products: premium cards, insurance etc. If what you say is true, they would close such accounts or impose annual fees.