Keeping going

I started a diary and then kind of wondered off, mostly because everything was such a mess reporting on it was just too miserable. Now I have a mostly surface tidy house and I just got under £4k on my main credit card, so things are much better but it was ridiclously exhausting getting here and I'm terrified of having some grey days and slipping backwards. I'm not sure I could summon the energy to pull myself out again.

I don't earn awfully much so I've been using overtime to make everything meet but that's being stopped now. (Too much overtime, but employing another person is a no go, where do they think this extra time is going to come from? I live in expectation of being issued with a time-turner.) So things will be a bit crunched. And I have to pay for my boiler service and vet bills, and there's my credit card with a £200 ish balance I've kind of not paid any attention to but actually does need to be paid. And while my flat actually has a few clear surfaces, the cupboards are a state and I have a heap of paperwork that needs attention (it is at least out the envelopes and the junk thrown away). And I'm suppossed to be putting some effort into constructing a second job, but I keep finding other things to do instead.

I can feel everything slipping out of my grip again, and I really truly can't face having to scrape myself back together again.

So the idea is to try and retake control now before I give in to the grey days. Part of the problem is I'm not very good at managing several prorities at the same time. I can do one thing (right now it's tidy flat) but I find it hard to give time to other important things. So tomorrow I'm going to take my laptop to the library and spend two hours on my current project. I will also clear everything off my bedroom floor and my desk. If I can manage that I'll consider tomorrow a success. Once I have a clear desk I can try and have another a look at my finances. I at least need to know how much extra next month is going to cost me, other than a lot.

Sorry that wasn't very optimistic. But makng yourself accountable is supposed to help. So we'll see.

Replies

• doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    greenroses wrote: »
    I'm not very good at managing several prorities at the same time. I can do one thing (right now it's tidy flat) but I find it hard to give time to other important things.
    I am exactly the same re managing priorities :(
    Well done and good luck with your diary :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • downnotoutdownnotout Forumite
    606 Posts
    Im back at it again, keep your chin up, try and put some structure to you debt payments and see where it takes you. I struggle re priority too, that's why I do so well for ages with debts then loose the will with it and let it slip. This time will be different though as I am at the planning stage.
    TOTAL AT START £13606.90 27/03/2018
    TOTAL CURRENT £13445.90 29/03/2018
  • Thank you. I really think priority juggling is going to be critical.

Today I managed to at least start my project and clear my desk. I failed at picking up my bedroom. I'd do it now but I need to get into work stupidly early toorrow to try and get things done. So tomorrow I will pick up the mess, and I will get the financial paperwork out. I want to be ready for when the gas bill comes in because I think it's going to be bad given how cold it's been.
  • redofromstartredofromstart Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good luck with it, but less of the 'fail' word please :). You got a huge amount done, far more than me.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    82.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why dont you do twenty minutes at a time at something.
    I set a timer & it is amazing what you can get done in 20 minutes.
    Keep plodding :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Working_MumWorking_Mum Forumite
    535 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    Why dont you do twenty minutes at a time at something.
    I set a timer & it is amazing what you can get done in 20 minutes.
    Keep plodding :)

This is a really practical idea and it can transform your day and confidence!!

I have a "rumble" (I think A5da use it to tidy their stores) and do a burst for 5 or ten minutes but it springboards me onto other jobs.

Greenrose - one thing I would say to myself when I felt overwhelmed was that it took me a long time to build into this situation and it will take a while to get out. Saying it helps me accept it!! I would always try and make things nice i.e. my money journal is a lovely book and I strive to write in it neatly and make it look lovely, it is filled with all of my spends and motivational quotes (written on Post It notes) and peppered through the book so I would turn a page and read something uplifting!!).

Keep journalling here, everyone is so very kind and supportive - and when you clean your teeth in a morning look yourself in the eye and tell yourself you are great and have got this!!

((hugs))

WM x
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi greenroses, I am in a similar position at work: I work fulltime, but have 1day parental leave per week, and my admin colleague has been promoted 18 months ago. For my 1 day and her 4 days, there is no new staff. Colleague deserves her promotion, but is still doing a lot of admin to keep the work moving. I now let things turn themselves square, carefully picking things that will cause disruption, give my boss extra work, but not do any real damage, for instance: boss her expense reports are last in the queue, whichever queue is forming.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It worked (more or less :D) . Boss and I had a meeting about communication, and hiring of extra staff, and delegating tasks (there is no-one to delegate to; I can only redistribute to already overworked colleagues, which I do not want to do), and she now seems to be happy about hiring at least a summer employee (a colleague's student son).

I have seen the salaries of the CEO and the Executive team, I know how much a Trainee would cost, and even an Admin, I have been here over 10 years (so I am expensive to fire :)), and I am not afraid of people. The worst they can do is fire me, which, under the new CEO/Exec team, would be swift, so I am okay.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Thank you for all your kind comments. Siebrie, congratulations on convincing your boss you need more support, I guess she had to at least notice the delayed expenses! It's a bit like that at my work. My team was me and two part time collegues, so there was effectively 2 people doing the job. I went part time, one colleague was reassigned and we are down to just over 1 persons hours. That this might cause an issue does not seem to have occurred to the bosses. And yes any redistribution of work only goes to already busy people, who then have to off load their own stuff on somebody else. It's like a game of hot potato.

Still things do continue to get tidier, which is something. I tried the 20 min burst thing and it surprised me how effective it was. I will try the nice writing book thing. I need to keep track of my expenses better and I have a small stash of nice books saved because they're too nice to be just used which is ridiclous when you think about it.

I also sat down and did my sums because that's going to become urgent very quickly. I've never really managed to budget before. Being just the one person and having a credit card it was easy to manage with unexpected payments and tbh as soon as I start thinking about budgeting I want to run out and spend money. (I'm the same with trying to diet.)

But I decided to go for Masters at University so I need to be a grown up about this. I have done a soa but I have never actually saved any money to dish out on yearly expenses before. Might have to think about how best to mannage that. £15 presents is only £180 a year and I'm sure I usually spend more than that. I will have to get creative. Also £80 groceries, I'm not sure I've managed that either because I stop at the shops on the way home and buy ready meals and anything else I fancy when stressed. I'm sure if I had a list I could do better. And if I sorted out cupboards and freezer.

I have a £500 emergency fund because I have a seperate savings account I never think about (I had to go and check it was still there). I have paid off my small credit card bill and apparently can manage to have £1 left over every month. Really it's not as bad as it could be but I need to look at finding some more money for debt repayment anyway cause the calculator tells me it will take 8/9 years to pay off at this rate and I'm sure I can do better than that.

Important note: My mother very generously gives me £50 a month towards university. This goes on travelling there, books & stuff, anything over gets saved into the university fee pot. I treat this as sort of seperate because she gives it to me for uni, not debt repayment. I know I am very lucky she's willing to help me out like this.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 750
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income (renting garage - not awfully realiable)................ 30
    Total monthly income.................... 780

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 215
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 100
    Council tax............................. 110
    Electricity & Gas............................. 65
    Water rates............................. 9
    Telephone & internet (paid line rental up front cant remember the cost)............ 11
    Mobile phone............................ 5
    Groceries etc. ......................... 80
    Clothing................................ 5
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance................. 15
    Buildings insurance (with mangement fee).............. 0
    Contents insurance...................... 7
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 15
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 10
    Charity................................. 45
    Boiler service.......................... 8
    Work lottery............................ 8
    Union................................... 7
    Cat..................................... 20
    Total monthly expenses.................. 740

Assets

Cash.................................... 632
    House value (Gross)..................... 120000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 120632

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 51000....(215)......1.2
    Total secured & HP debts...... 51000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Credit card....................3907.33...44........0
    Total unsecured debts..........3907.33...44........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 780
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 735
    Available for debt repayments........... 45
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 44
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 120,632
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -51,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -3,907.33
    Net Assets.............................. 65,724.67
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals