Section 75 or charge back?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
5 replies 868 views
kjetson74kjetson74 Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi

I am looking for some advice, we are due to go on holiday to Spain on Monday where we have hired a villa. On arrival we have to leave a €300 deposit, which we have no problem with at all. However, I have come across some worrying reviews from other people who have used the agency saying they have never received back their security deposits back after leaving. While we would never intentionally break or damage anything and if we did would be more than happy to pay for it I also don’t want to lose that sort of money unnecessarily.

I have done a little research and read about section 75 and also charge backs but wonder if either of those would cover me if the deposit wasn’t returned as it should. If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It might depend on the T&c's of the deposit, usually helpful to take as many photos of the property on arrival as evidence of anything wrong then again on leaving.
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Section 75 may be a problem - you would need to carefully check who you are paying and who your contract is with.

For example, it's often the case that your contract is with the villa owner - but you pay the deposit to the agent, who is acting on your behalf as an intermediary, and passes the deposit onto the villa owner.

(... as most villa owners don't have facilities to accept credit cards.)

This would probably break the debtor-creditor-supplier link, which means that you would have no s75 protection.
  • Yes we will make sure we take pictures when we arrive and when we leave. As far as I am aware it is an agent we pay the money to so we would be breaking the debtor-creditor-supplier link.

Is there any other way we could cover ourselves, I know I maybe over thinking it and worrying about nothing but almost wish I hadn't of booked it now.
  • Non-returned deposits can be disputed, even if the hotel claims you damaged the room (or car hire company says you damaged the car) - this is regardless of any T&Cs you may have agreed to up front.

This is for both MasterCard or Visa. If you have a MasterCard id opt for that.
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kjetson74 wrote: »
    I have come across some worrying reviews from other people who have used the agency saying they have never received back their security deposits back after leaving.

If you are that concerned cancel the booking and stay elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides