Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Car insurance claim not going through, HELP

New Post Advanced Search

Car insurance claim not going through, HELP

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
8 replies 1.5K views
sv722sv722 Forumite
26 posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Someone crashed into my car on the 1st of March when we had the bad weather. They didn't leave a note and they just drove off. Luckily someone saw it and left a note asking me to call them.

I did so and was able to track down the offender because he'd followed them. I took photos of their damaged car and also got the number plate. I also left a note on their car asking them to call me.

They did after a few hours and we exchanged details such as names and insurance companies. I phoned mine up and gave them all the details that i had but i didn't claim just yet. I considered filing a police report as the other driver drove off but i didn't.

I spoke with my insurance on tuesday and they told me that they've tried to contact the offending party's insurance but to no avail. They further said that they give the other party up to 90 days to respond but this is far too long as my car is lying there damaged and useless.

This is all upsetting and i'm starting to think that the person who smashed into me lied. How do i proceed with this further? There is evidence in the form of a witness who saw it all and also possibly some cctv footage.

How can i proceed further?

Thanks

Replies

  • edited 24 March 2018 at 11:30PM
    forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2018 at 11:30PM
    sv722 wrote: »
    Someone crashed into my car on the 1st of March when we had the bad weather. They didn't leave a note and they just drove off. Luckily someone saw it and left a note asking me to call them.

    I did so and was able to track down the offender because he'd followed them. I took photos of their damaged car and also got the number plate. I also left a note on their car asking them to call me.

    They did after a few hours and we exchanged details such as names and insurance companies. I phoned mine up and gave them all the details that i had but i didn't claim just yet. I considered filing a police report as the other driver drove off but i didn't.

    I spoke with my insurance on tuesday and they told me that they've tried to contact the offending party's insurance but to no avail. They further said that they give the other party up to 90 days to respond but this is far too long as my car is lying there damaged and useless.

    This is all upsetting and i'm starting to think that the person who smashed into me lied. How do i proceed with this further? There is evidence in the form of a witness who saw it all and also possibly some cctv footage.

    How can i proceed further?

    Thanks

    Is your policy 3rd party only? If its comprehensive then claim from your own policy.

    You will pay the excess, but you can claim that back later. Do you have legal protection also?

    Insurance can move slower than icebergs, mum had a non fault accident that took 2 years to settle fully.

    24 days is nothing.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • FutureGirlFutureGirl Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The issue is that it doesn't matter if your insurance says you aren't a fault - they need the other insurer to actually admit liability.

    You can claim on your own policy if you are fully comp but, as above, any excess will apply and the claim may impact your NCD if you don't have it protected - until your insurer can then recover the money from the at fault insurer IF they admit fault.

    Have you told your insurer there is a witness? If not, DO IT! They should send a witness form to them - they can then just send this to the other parties insurers to get them to at least deal with your damage.

    The third party insurer doesn't need agreement from their insured to pay out for your damage under their policy.
  • sv722sv722 Forumite
    26 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    The issue is that it doesn't matter if your insurance says you aren't a fault - they need the other insurer to actually admit liability.

    You can claim on your own policy if you are fully comp but, as above, any excess will apply and the claim may impact your NCD if you don't have it protected - until your insurer can then recover the money from the at fault insurer IF they admit fault.

    Have you told your insurer there is a witness? If not, DO IT! They should send a witness form to them - they can then just send this to the other parties insurers to get them to at least deal with your damage.

    The third party insurer doesn't need agreement from their insured to pay out for your damage under their policy.

    Yes i informed them of the witness and they said that they can send them the witness pack. They also said that i should try and obtain any CCTV evidence if i can although i don't know how i would go about this. Also should i have to do this or is it the insurer's job?

    My insurance is fully comp but i cant remember if i have legal protection or not.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its comprehensive then claim on your own policy and pay the excess, it will be sorted quickly.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Report the other driver to the police as well for hit and run, nice fine and points for them
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • sv722sv722 Forumite
    26 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Report the other driver to the police as well for hit and run, nice fine and points for them

    I've got their registration number, and also photos and name. The gave insurance details but mine said that they've not been able to get in touch with them.

    I'll inform the police right away because this person is not answering my calls and is just giving excuses. How would i get CCTV from a train station and give it to my insurance company?
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you get the drivers contact details?

    Why are you chasing them? Your claiming on your own policy. Let the insurer sort the rest out after.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would i get CCTV from a train station

    Have you asked the train station for it?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support