New Post Advanced Search

Confused about car insurance for second vehicle -

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 670 views
downshifterdownshifter Forumite
1.1K posts
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I'm being very thick about this and really don't understand how car insurance works.

I've got an old campervan and have now put a deposit down on a second little runaround. I want to keep the campervan so need to insure the little car, (13reg). I rang my current insurers and they've quoted huge figures for both, but an ok figure for the little car if I sell the van. I think this is to do with my no claims discount which is very long but really I don't understand.

So is the ncd attached to me? To the first car? Shared between both cars? And what would happen if I SORN-ed the van and just un-SORN-ed it during months that I want to go on hol? That would be a pain as the great thing about it is that I can just up and go whenever I feel like it.

I wanted to spend some time over the weekend looking at quotes but am not sure now how to do it - what to enter in the ncd box for example. I really don't understand - sorry to sound thick but I've only ever insured one car at a time before!!

Thanks

DS

Replies

• edited 24 March 2018 at 3:15PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2018 at 3:15PM
    You can only use your NCD on one policy at a time, (but ask your van's insurer if they will give you any discount/mirror your NCD etc if you bring your new car to them

You can SORN your van and unSORN it any time, though that won't help your insurance issue!

You have nil NCD to use on your new car.
  • downshifterdownshifter Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you very much for such a concise yet clear answer. I had assumed the no claims discount would follow me as the 'careful driver' rather than just one policy. After reading your response I've looked up the mirror idea, it doesn't seem to be mentioned on comparison sites and my own insurer didn't mention it, though I didn't know to ask either. Have googled now though.

Can anyone recommend any insurer that they have used and which will mirror or at least offer a discount for a long no claims discount? If not it seems as though the only suggestion I have is to sit on the phone all day Monday ringing round. Oh dear!!

Many thanks again for your help Quentin.

DS
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a local broker (not Swinton) and see if they can get an introductory discount to reflect your claim free driving history
  • edited 25 March 2018 at 8:13AM
    mgfvvcmgfvvc Forumite
    687 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 25 March 2018 at 8:13AM
    NCD is tied to a car. You can transfer from one car to another, but you can't normally share it. When you have 2 cars you will start earning a 2nd NCD. Some insurers will give you an introductory NCD, as an experienced driver.

I would try a broker as a good one will have contacts in the insurers and should be able to get a deal for you.