New Post Advanced Search

Overlapping travel insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
6 replies 954 views
Archers_fanArchers_fan Forumite
46 posts
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I have an annual travel insurance policy, covering Europe, that expires in October 2018. Today I am thinking of booking a holiday in Asia for January 2019. I know I should buy holiday insurance as soon as I pay the deposit but will it matter if I am doubly insured, probably with different companies?

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't be doubly insured!

Your current annual policy is for Europe!

(You could see if it's cost effective to add Asia to the current policy, and renew it when it expires rather than buy a new policy to cover Asia now)
  • Archers_fanArchers_fan Forumite
    46 posts
    Surely the "World Wide" policy will also include Europe and I will therefore have overlapping insurance until October 2018.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely the "World Wide" policy will also include Europe and I will therefore have overlapping insurance until October 2018.

Only if you book a holiday to Europe.

Why don't you ask about the uplift to your current policy?
    I recently changed and it was only a very small difference (I was suprised as I was adding USA which I though would be expensive).
  • Archers_fanArchers_fan Forumite
    46 posts
    lissyloo, I do have holidays already booked in Europe, that's why I bought European insurance.
  • mgfvvcmgfvvc Forumite
    705 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Only if you buy an annual policy for your trip to Asia. A single trip policy would keep things simple. If that is not cost effective then Quentin's suggestion of an upgrade to your current policy would be worth exploring.

If push comes to shove being double insured isn't a disaster anyway,
  • Marmaduke123Marmaduke123 Forumite
    570 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We had a similar situation, involving a trip to the US, not covered by our annual Europe policy. To complicate matters, we both have medical conditions which need to be declared.

To keep things simple, we bought a single trip policy to cover our trip to the US. It may not have been the most economical option, but it was quick and simple and avoided double insurance.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support