Edinburgh,Royal Mail & weather

Options
custardy
custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Just an update for folks.

I am led to believe afternoon/evening collections are cancelled in the 'red' zone.

Edinburgh mail centre has closed for late shift.
This means mail collected and heading out from Edinburgh (mainly south) will not be processed/despatchd)

They are considering cancelling the nightshift. If the nightshift is cancelled then pretty much nothing will be processed or go to deliveries for all EH/FK/KY/PH/DD & TD postcodes.

On top of this there will obviously be issues with road/rail/air networks getting mail to the MC.

So if you are expecting anything going to or coming from the above postcodes. Expect delays

Edit: Edinburgh Airport now closed to all flights. So that impacts a massive amount of the nightshift arrival mail.

Comments

• custardy
    Options
    So nightshift is cancelled.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just waiting for the message from eBay to say that sellers will be protected from late defects due to the snow , yes I am deluded.

I have had a 3 day dispatch on and must get it in the post tomorrow , as it is even in Greater London we are badly affected by snow (almost unheard of in my area) and I'm just hoping my mail centre is open. It's a 5 mile round walk but my dear OH has volunteered to walk it for me .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the message from eBay to say that sellers will be protected from late defects due to the snow , yes I am deluded.

I have had a 3 day dispatch on and must get it in the post tomorrow , as it is even in Greater London we are badly affected by snow (almost unheard of in my area) and I'm just hoping my mail centre is open. It's a 5 mile round walk but my dear OH has volunteered to walk it for me .

I would expect your MC to be open.
    I spoke to an old RM manager (30+ years service) and he has never heard of Edinburgh MC closing for weather.
  • soolin
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I would expect your MC to be open.
    I spoke to an old RM manager (30+ years service) and he has never heard of Edinburgh MC closing for weather.

I hope so.

I'm still waiting for my email from eBay :tongue:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    This has just come up on my business account:

Due to severe weather continuing to affecting much of the UK, Royal Mail are sorry that we are currently unable to guarantee next day delivery of Special Delivery items posted from Thursday 1 March 2018. We continue to accept and prioritise the delivery of Special Delivery items at this time and will reinstate the delivery guarantee as soon as we are confident we can meet this service promise for all customers. We!!!8217;re really sorry for the inconvenience caused.
  • custardy
    Options
    had to be. Shut EHMC and theres 20K+ local SDs alone before you talk about outward.
    Add in closed airports,roads etc and its just not possible.
    EHMC continues to be closed into the early shift operation.
  • soolin
    Options
    My OH has just set off on the trek to the mail centre with approx half my post, basically all he could carry. As I have a 3 day dispatch on I can afford to send the outstanding lot tomorrow.

Custardy, I saw on the news this morning that you have 2 red weather warnings in place now, so take care!
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    weather.jpg
  • custardy
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    My OH has just set off on the trek to the mail centre with approx half my post, basically all he could carry. As I have a 3 day dispatch on I can afford to send the outstanding lot tomorrow.

Custardy, I saw on the news this morning that you have 2 red weather warnings in place now, so take care!

I'm lucky. My employer cried off last night. Still TBC for tonight.

EHMC remains closed at present.
  • custardy
    Options
    So EHMC opened yesterday late shift and continued onto night shift. However there was no public transport at all and the night shift was down 70%+ on staffing.
    Due to access issues at delivery offices they got very little mail.
    Nothing to FK/KY/PH/DD or TD. For EH postcodes only a small amount of mail to the city offices.

All shifts running today so outward operation will run but obviously road/rail/air issues and the MC will still be down on staff due to access issues with staff living out of the city.

Obviously the backlog will run into next week.

I was in work yesterday. main roads were fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure