ISA Bonus

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 471 views
Save£££Save£££ Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have £4000 in a normal savings account. I have just opened a Skipton Society LISA and thinking of also opening a help to buy ISA and transferring £2000 into each.
Is the bonus on the H2B ISA added annually or only on added when you are ready to buy?
If annually, would it be too late to qualify for the bonus? ( as would need three months to transfer the minimum of £1600)
Or would i get 25% annually of whatever is in there?

:)

Replies

• Rich2808Rich2808 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The help to buy isa is solely for first time buyers of any age. You can only invest £1200 in month one and £200 a month thereafter. When you buy you get 25% of the amount saved up to a maximum of £3,000 (it would take 4 and a half years to save the £12k needed for the maximum bonus). You can close it at any time - for example if you buy a property over £250k (outside London) or £450k (London) so don't qualify for the bonus.

The lifetime isa can be opened by anyone under 40 whether they own a property or not. You get a 25% bonus on what you save (i.e. a max £1k on £4k a year) but can only make penalty free withdrawals before age 60 if you are a first time buyer and use the proceeds to buy a home.

Both attract interest of course from the provider - assuming you take out a cash LISA (Skipton are the only providers). However most LISAs are stocks and shares based.

So you need to tailor your investment to the product.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save£££ wrote: »
    I have just opened a Skipton Society LISA and thinking of also opening a help to buy ISA and transferring £2000 into each.
    Just in case you haven't already come across this when researching so far, you can't get the 25% bonus on both a HTB and a LISA if you're buying your first property, it's one or the other....
  • Excellent, Thank you, for the breakdown :)
    2018 wins: 2x Bags or Doritos (Yum), £20 Voucher, 5x Pair of Sports Socks

Live to Play : Play to win - Will I this year?

:beer: Beer and friends always helps :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides