Buyer given me wrong postcode

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
6 replies 1.2K views
starrybeestarrybee Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭
Hi,

I've got a buyer who's paid for an item and given me the wrong postcode. A quick google search says the postcode was disbanded by Royal Mail in the 80s! I haven't contacted them yet as I wanted to check on here what the correct thing to do next is. It needs to go tracked and the post office refused to take it today.

I'm assuming I will lose seller protection if I send to the correct postcode without them changing it on the paypal purchase, are they able to do this easily? They don't have much feedback so I'm guessing they're new to it all.

Or if I have to refund them and make them buy again with the correct address, what happens if they suddenly decide not to pay as I guess I can't open a non payment case?

Thanks!

Replies

• ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just contact them first to ask them what the correct address and post code is before proceeding. Normally when there's one thing wrong with the address, it often materialises there other things wrong with it, like the whole thing is wrong.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ShaneUKShaneUK Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the first line of the address, start typing it on the PostCode Finder on the Royal Mail website, and once you have selected the address, you will get the full correct postcode.
    https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
  • starrybeestarrybee Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ShaneUK wrote: »
    If you have the first line of the address, start typing it on the PostCode Finder on the Royal Mail website, and once you have selected the address, you will get the full correct postcode.
    https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

Yes I've already found the correct postcode, but it doesn't really help me because if they filed an INR I would lose because I won't have sent it to the one paypal/ebay have on record.

:(
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Live chat with Ebay and ask them what you should do.

Keep a copy of the transcription.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    starrybee wrote: »
    Yes I've already found the correct postcode, but it doesn't really help me because if they filed an INR I would lose because I won't have sent it to the one paypal/ebay have on record.

:(

Indeed.

You need to get in contact with the buyer and let them know the address is invalid and that you will refund so they can pay again with the correct details. *Cancel the transaction on grounds the address is incorrect and refund the payment. Then ask the buyer to pay again using the correct address.

*this assumes you were going to comply with all other parts of seller protection.

You will lose 20p on the Paypal transaction.
  • starrybeestarrybee Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

You need to get in contact with the buyer and let them know the address is invalid and that you will refund so they can pay again with the correct details. *Cancel the transaction on grounds the address is incorrect and refund the payment. Then ask the buyer to pay again using the correct address.

*this assumes you were going to comply with all other parts of seller protection.

You will lose 20p on the Paypal transaction.

Thanks, I'm still waiting for them to reply to my message so I'll wait for a response before I cancel so they know what's going on. If I cancel and they buy again will I lose two sets of FVF or will I automatically be credited the first lot back for cancelling?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals