Paypal had a breach on emails?

edited 27 January 2018 at 3:45AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 1.2K views
forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
31.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
Had an email on my email account i use for Paypal, i do not use the email for anything else.

Received a "Your Paypal has been limited" email. Not from Paypal though. No real name Just dear [email protected]

Thought nothing of it, just pot luck from some that started with A then AA etc so after several million emails my address comes up.

But then checking my other email accounts (i have lots) i spot another one. This account had been used for paypal some time back. A bit suspicious now both arrived on the same day.

Different senders addresses and unique ticket numbers, but again no real name, just Dear [email protected] again.

No emails on accounts that have not been used for paypal.

Strange.

Both have pdf attachments which im not touching with a barge
pole on this PC.

Domain registered with google servers? except the email which is [email protected]
Technical Contact Email : [email protected]
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Replies

• ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    probably phishing emails, report to paypal's security team.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »

Only Probably?

These are very common and obvious phishing emails, If I check my spam folders I get dozens of them a day on all my accounts , regardless of whether they have ever been used for paypal or not. There's very little point reporting them to paypal as by the time anyone checks the originating email it will have closed down and they will have moved onto the next ten thousand or so emails.

Paypal is a popular one to phish as so many people have accounts and they might eventually find someone who hesitates on it for a moment and falls for it. Chase used to be the 'big' one but the scammers appear to be moving on to newer things rather than phish the old stablished banks.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »

Gone above that, contacted the registrar.

100% phishing, but odd how i get 2 on different emails accounts and both have been used for paypal and only paypal.

I use different email addresses for ebay and paypal, and use them for nothing else. Same with my banking. Unique emails for almost everything.

Caught twitch out recently with that, signed up and immediately started to get spam mails with some questionable content.
    Contacted twitch who denied it at first but did admit the spam company are affiliated with them.

Amazing how you can create an email account and never use it and not a single email for years then suddenly use it and get spam from an affiliated company.

• edited 27 January 2018 at 1:05PM
    jimroyjimroy Forumite
    89 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 27 January 2018 at 1:05PM
    Forward such phishing emails to [email protected] for them to investigate and sort out. A quick way to see if it's a genuine email is by checking the address details of the sender.
    But even then if you're still not sure, don't open any link and go onto the PayPal website proper and log in and see if there are any legit notifications to you.

And add such emails to your spam and blocked folders, then delete. Under no circumstances click on any link within the emails or compromise your log in details or security. Change your passwords immediately if you have done so.

I have to do this now and again and that's the advice I was given by PayPal.
    They even email you back personally to thank you sometimes after following them up.
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have enough ebay and paypal goodies already :)

The leatherbound writing pad with a nice pen was the last item i received, very posh. Seems a waste to actually use it though :)

• ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gone above that, contacted the registrar.

100% phishing, but odd how i get 2 on different emails accounts and both have been used for paypal and only paypal.

I use different email addresses for ebay and paypal, and use them for nothing else. Same with my banking. Unique emails for almost everything.

Caught twitch out recently with that, signed up and immediately started to get spam mails with some questionable content.
    Contacted twitch who denied it at first but did admit the spam company are affiliated with them.

Amazing how you can create an email account and never use it and not a single email for years then suddenly use it and get spam from an affiliated company.

You answered the question yourself.

Probably you paid someone, they see the email address, they either compromised or sold on that email address, and bam the emails you got now.

Someone estimated last year around 80% of websites on the internet are either compromised in some form or are actively affiliated with spammers.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you use different emails for eBay and PayPal a buyer gets both of them so every time you sell an item your emails are at risk of spammers getting hold of them.
  • edited 27 January 2018 at 3:37PM
    forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 January 2018 at 3:37PM
    steviebabes yep i agree, but seems a big coincidence that my current and previous paypal only emails were used on the same day. No emails on emails with very similar names.. ie [email protected] and [email protected] So they got 2 and 4 (paypal, 1 & 3 = ebay). Which makes me think its targeted not randomly generated.

That is one thing that ebay and paypal dont really need to do, pass email info onto sellers. If we need to communicate then there is the ebay system. All they need is a username.

Similar to a LOT of my deliveries having my phone number on the address label. Maybe why i started getting dodgy international calls?
    Call blocker sorted them out.

There will have been quite a few purchases with both of the email addresses. I do change it every now and then though.

• DoxDox Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

That is one thing that ebay and paypal dont really need to do, pass email info onto sellers. If we need to communicate then there is the ebay system. All they need is a username.

Similar to a LOT of my deliveries having my phone number on the address label. Maybe why i started getting dodgy international calls?
    Call blocker sorted them out.

Useful to have e-mail addresses so that couriers can send messages to buyers confirming their item is en route etc. Very few of them seem able to log in to the courier's website and/or use the 'order' button on ebay to keep an eye on what is happening!

Even easier way to sort out dodgy phone calls: give your phone number as 000000 00000, which 'the system' on ebay happily accepts when you checkout.
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even stranger 2 more emails, one same email as before and a fresh one to yet another email address used for ebay/paypal, a very long time ago.
    Back when i used the same username and email for everything.

Google domains are very good and responded back promptly, just need to get back to them with some info when i get a chance.

Maybe just lucky, but thats twice now i have had to contact google and they responded quickly previously. (maps issue) back then (Large UK City missing).

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals