A new type of Buyer Scam on Ebay regarding Royal Mail tracking

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
4 replies 1.2K views
NeonGeonNeonGeon Forumite
4 Posts
In November I sold a watch for £85, the buyer claimed it was not working. I disagreed with him but accepted the return thinking I'll get it back, see that it is working and sell it to someone else.

I never got the watch back but ebay refunded him anyway once he provided them with a royal mail tracking number.

Here's the weird thing, on the royal mail tracking, the watch appeared to arrive at my local sorting office in November, but there was no evidence of delivery to any address.

The buyer stopped all communication with me once ebay refunded him. I contacted my local sorting office and they told me they could not locate the item.

If the buyer was indeed a scammer which I strongly believe him to be, how was he able to make it appear my watch was delivered to my local royal mail sorting office, are there any royal mail experts out there that can shed some light on how the buyer was able to do this.

I am now rather reluctant to use ebay ever again, I just don't feel safe selling on it as it is just far too easy for scammers to get the item for free.

Replies

• mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeonGeon wrote: »

Here's the weird thing, on the royal mail tracking, the watch appeared to arrive at my local sorting office in November, but there was no evidence of delivery to any address.

The buyer stopped all communication with me once ebay refunded him. I contacted my local sorting office and they told me they could not locate the item.

If the buyer was indeed a scammer which I strongly believe him to be, how was he able to make it appear my watch was delivered to my local royal mail sorting office, are there any royal mail experts out there that can shed some light on how the buyer was able to do this.

I am now rather reluctant to use ebay ever again, I just don't feel safe selling on it as it is just far too easy for scammers to get the item for free.

The buyer is either a master of the dark arts of magic, making a watch disappear from a sorting office from miles away. Or one of the temps that Royal Mail take on towards Christmas nicked it.

Use Ebid. Apparently you can pay £45 for a lifetimes free selling.You will never have to again worry about someone returning something they brought.
  • LisbonLisbon Forumite
    415 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    NeonGeon wrote: »

He wasn't. Royal Mail lost the item.
  • I think this is a genuine scam that has also happened to me.

The buyer says he will return the item, but sends it to a bogus address. Tracking shows item went to my local sorting office but vanished after that.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    So - the item goes to the sorting office - it can't be delivered, because the address is dodgy, so it either stays at the sorting office or gets returned to the sender. The tracking should show that -
    which would be evidence that it was not returned to the seller - but I wonder if eBay would bother to look closely.

If the return label is generated by the seller, it should have the correct address so either a) the buyer has deliberately added a fake address like Charles80 said or b) RM have lost it.

You could try and claim from RM - based on the tracking - but it may take a bit of chasing and if it was returned without the right level of cover - you may not get the full value.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals