Sibling credit card debt at parents address

Hi,
My sister has lived abroad for several years now. A while back she asked my mum if she could get some post directed to my mum's address so she could pick it up when she visited.
Unbeknownst to my mum, my sister had opened a credit card on the address (in her own name, not my mum's). After a recent visit from my sister, my mum found a ripped up letter which was from the credit card company, showing that my sister had missed a payment, and in addition to that had managed to accrue a reasonably large debt.

I want to make sure that it is my sister, and only her that is responsible for this debt, and that in no way can my mum be pursued for this debt, or, worst case, that the bailiffs can enter her house and take possessions. My sister has never lived at my mum's current address, is not on the electoral roll or has any connection (apart from this credit agreement) with the address.

Obviously, my mum needs to confront my sister about this and get her to stop doing this. Mum has also noticed she has recently applied for other credit on the address but luckily been turned down. I assume that going forward my mum should return any future financial mail to the company concerned stating my sister is not known at this address.

I would very much appreciate any advice on the above as I want to reassure my mum that in no way is she liable. She did not know this was going on and has never co-signed any agreements concerning my sister's financial circumstances

Kind regards and best to all in 2018!

Comments

• Mum isn't liable.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    migfighter wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to make sure that it is my sister, and only her that is responsible for this debt (yes it is), and that in no way can my mum be pursued for this debt (no, she can't), or, worst case, that the bailiffs can enter her house and take possessions (no, they can't).

Obviously, my mum needs to confront my sister about this and get her to stop doing this (agreed!!).

. I assume that going forward my mum should return any future financial mail to the company concerned stating my sister is not known at this address (if this would put your mums mind at rest then this is whats she should do).

good luck to you both

Rob
  • many thanks to both of you for your swift response
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills