Mental health and mortgages 😢

I need help please.....

I had a mental breakdown 6 years ago and have been on disability benefits all this time with the benefit paying the interest on my mortgage and I paid £25 a month off the capital borrowed. However, my mortgage comes to an end April 2018 and I cannot afford to pay of the outstanding balance.
I do not have the mental strength to deal with this and require support to go through this process but I don't have the money to pay for an independent financial advisor or have family or friends that can help me.
I welcome any advice please....
But please be gently and kind as my mental health is very fragile......

Replies

• juniordocjuniordoc Forumite
    366 Posts
    ✭✭
    You should start by looking for a broker who will not charge a fee. They will be able to guide you through the process.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Citizens Advice Bureau or local council Money Advice Service may be able to help in general terms.

If you're in Scotland,
    https://www.housingoptionsscotland.org.uk/
    support people on benefits buying their own house
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • IAmWalesIAmWales Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    juniordoc wrote: »
    You should start by looking for a broker who will not charge a fee. They will be able to guide you through the process.

No point in seeing a broker, the only lender that might help the OP is their existing one because of their source of income.

Rosie, speak to your lender to see what they can offer you. If you can't handle speaking to them CAB should help you.

Are you aware that the mortgage interest support you currently receive is ending in April? At that point you'll be able to take a loan from the government (with interest) that will have to be repaid when you sell.
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, speak to your lender. I came to the end of my mortgage and owed money. I was terrified. I eventually made an arrangement with my bank and it worked out OK. I wish you well with this.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    £500/2,500 Legal and moving costs
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News