ese Free Solar PV Health Check?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
73 replies 43.3K views

Replies

• edited 30 July 2018 at 10:50AM
    gerianngeriann Forumite
    156 posts
    edited 30 July 2018 at 10:50AM
    I also received a letter from ESE saying "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check & service on your system & your warranty may be due to expire."
    I don't have any solar panels! so i don't know where they got this information from!
    the letter only says ESE, the free number & the company number. No address, website or email address. Strange, so {Text removed by MSE Investigator}.
  • Merlin139Merlin139 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Hi i have my cover with them never had a problem been out done the service and my inverter had broken down which they replaced under the cover great service highly recommende:T:Td
    i have my cover with ESE i find them very good they have been out and serviced my solar also why under cover with them my inverter broken down they were out with in 24 hrs and replaced it with a new one at no extra cost because i am under the maintenance cover very reliable and professional service highly recommend them cant say a bad word about them hope this helps

2 posts in 4 minutes that tell much the same. As pointed out by Andy_WSM you also signed up just to tell us this?
    How long have you had a policy with this company?
    So what prey tell did you so called service consist of?
    What was the fault on the inverter?
    Whats seems the strangest to me is this company has been around for a couple of years. Never filed a full set of accounts. Move directors around companies left right and centre and move company address around between the same group of companies!

Something not right here?
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
  • In the last few days my cousin received a letter from ESE stating that "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire". My cousin had her solar panel system installed by British Gas some years ago and has never had any dealings with ESE. We wonder where this company got my cousin's name and address and think it is a bit off that she should get this unsolicited approach from ESE. We intend to pass the letter to our local trading standards department as we are concerned that, potentially, this company may involved in very inappropriate practices, resulting in vulnerable people being conned.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    stewart54 wrote: »
    In the last few days my cousin received a letter from ESE stating that "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire". My cousin had her solar panel system installed by British Gas some years ago and has never had any dealings with ESE. We wonder where this company got my cousin's name and address and think it is a bit off that she should get this unsolicited approach from ESE. We intend to pass the letter to our local trading standards department as we are concerned that, potentially, this company may involved in very inappropriate practices, resulting in vulnerable people being conned.

Google Earth ( to see the panels); Street View( to work out an address) and a check of The Electoral Register ( to get a name) would probably work. Unsolicited approaches are not as far as I am aware illegal. I got ‘letters’ from Homeserve; TalkTalk and my local takeaway this morning. They all go into the re-cycling bin.
  • edited 1 August 2018 at 1:27PM
    ewan_uzarmiewan_uzarmi Forumite
    2 posts
    edited 1 August 2018 at 1:27PM
    I just received the ESE "health check" letter and the fact that it was unsolicited and addressed to "Homeowner" rather than myself immediately triggered my suspicions. If they don't know who lives here their "records" must be pretty sketchy and they obviously don't know the age of my system or the fact that I already have cover. The whole letter is amateurish, lacks company information and doesn't even include a website address. What really put me off was the inclusion of a "grocer's apostrophe" in the word "consultant's" which is most unprofessional and indicative to me of a phishing attempt similar to the junk e-mails I receive. I would be hesitant to deal with an organisation that cannot produce a coherent communication.

I don't know how these people harvest likely addresses to pester but I don't think it's as simple as browsing Google Earth as Hengus suggests. My installation doesn't appear on Earth yet, it's 2 years old and Earth evidently hasn't been updated since. They obviously don't check the electoral register either, at least in my case, as they don't know my name.

Mark Caton may be able to correct me but I don't think inverters have advanced significantly in the 2 years since installation of my PV system as the letter is trying to suggest. With no moving parts in the system, I can't see that there is much to "service". My panels occasionally get a manual clean when the seagulls have used them as a toilet but I can do this myself as I live in a bungalow and can reach the panels with a long handled soft brush and garden hose from my garage roof.
  • Businesses can actually access the MCS database and obtain details of premises fitted with PV installations. Doesnt give them the installation owners name, so they would have to trawl the electoral roll or similar to obtain that.

Or they could just drive round an area and note the addresses where solar panels are fitted.

The MCS database is administered by a company called Gemserv, when an installation company goes into liquidation they will appoint another company to cover warranty issues etc. So an installation owner doesnt need to go out looking for one. That was part of the government requirements for the MCS Scheme.

Gemserv can be contacted on 020 7090 1082

Also useful for fit customers or indeed anyone with panels turbines etc there is a guide on who to complain or raise disputes with for various issues that people may have, cant post the link but if you search on gov,uk website for feed-in-tariffs-dispute-resolution-process
  • edited 30 July 2018 at 11:03AM
    Phil_CautiousPhil_Cautious Forumite
    4 posts
    edited 30 July 2018 at 11:03AM
    ESE letter offering free solar health check received. Checked with my installer and it was his second call of the day regarding this company. His advise, "Bin it". Checked the registered address on the letter and did a "Google drive by"...It's an accountant! Phoned the accountant today and asked to speak to an ESE representative. "No, they're not here, we're their accountants." Asked for ESE's address. "No, I can't give you that." I informed her that their address was not on the internet and I wanted to complain about their misleading "spam" letters.
    Incidentally, there are other, recently installed, solar systems belonging to a Housing Association nearby and they've had these letters as well. {Content removed by MSE Forum Staff}.
  • brownhandbagbrownhandbag Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    just to add we have had a letter this week and are using it to light the fire with, thanks to previous posters x
    total wins 2013 £5500 2014 £7500 2015 £23,900 2016 £10,650 2017 £13,040 2018 £10,620 2019 £10,115 2020 £3970.00
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
  • Merlin139Merlin139 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    ESE letter offering free solar health check received. Checked with my installer and it was his second call of the day regarding this company. His advise, "Bin it". Checked the registered address on the letter and did a "Google drive by"...It's an accountant! Phoned the accountant today and asked to speak to an ESE representative. "No, they're not here, we're their accountants." Asked for ESE's address. "No, I can't give you that." I informed her that their address was not on the internet and I wanted to complain about their misleading "spam" letters.
    Incidentally, there are other, recently installed, solar systems belonging to a Housing Association nearby and they've had these letters as well. Does that sound like the actions of a bona fide company.

Try this number taken from the website. 0151 448 2860

http://eseservices.co.uk/
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
  • hi i have had my service from these guys i am with them for my maintenance cover i cant fault them one bit very professional never pushed anything on me.
    i had a fault with my inverter they came straight out and replaced my no extra cost
    really cant fault them highly recommend them to any one .:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T