Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

3700 fraudulent entries linked to MSE

Not sure if this has been posted but has anyone seen this? There was a comp that was apparently posted here. The page has gone and now says

"This competition has been temporarily removed as several people listed it on the Money Saving Expert forum which led to a number of fraudulent entries, including one man who tried to enter 3700 times using various false email addresses. These fraudulent entries are being dealt with"

Firstly whoever used a program to enter that many times is a desperate moron. But more importantly to me is the fact that the comp runners seem to be linking the fraudulent entries directly to this forum. They have no idea whether the person involved came from here but are saying it.

https://www.craftrum.co.uk/competition1/?src=
August-September 2017: Lots of stuff :)
:beer::beer::)

Replies

• edited 24 October 2017 at 10:37PM
    sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2017 at 10:37PM
    I just entered it?

Thanks for entering!
    Thanks for entering our competition to win a bottle of Medway Rum, a globe decanter and five tiki mugs.

The winner will be announced via email and social media on 4th November
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    3700 entries by one person to win a bottle of bloody rum? Seriously? I'll buy you a bottle myself mate if you're that desperate...

How do these people check the replies to that many? Some bot thing that makes no sense to me probably.
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • edited 24 October 2017 at 11:48PM
    sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2017 at 11:48PM
    If you have a domain name you can setup an email with a catch all, so something like [email protected] and set all emails to that domain to go to that address, you could then enter with any random name @mydomain.com and all replies or emails to anything @mydomain will go to that catch all, so you don't need to physically set up or check 3000 email accounts, just the catch all.

I know this 'cause I'm a web developer, not because I've tried it :)
  • That'll be why the same names crop up over and over then ...:(
  • RahvenRahven Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you have a domain name you can setup an email with a catch all, so something like [email protected]mydomain.com and set all emails to that domain to go to that address, you could then enter with any random name @mydomain.com and all replies or emails to anything @mydomain will go to that catch all, so you don't need to physically set up or check 3000 email accounts, just the catch all.

I know this 'cause I'm a web developer, not because I've tried it :)

Thanks for the info Sleepy :) What can promoters do to catch this sort of thing? I imagine it's difficult because some domains (gmail for example) will have lots of legit entries from them. Can they check IPs or are those not traceable from emails?

Worrying that the promoter in this case thinks that someone from MSE is the culprit (how would they know that? Genuine question) and bad for all of us if this is really happening :eek:
  • sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Most competitions, I would imagine, check for IP addresses, not necessarily of the Email address but of the computer you're entering from so when you submit the form it takes a record of your IP address and saves that with your entry. (hence the One entry per household rule most comps have).

Some of them won't be so tech savvy and might miss this however ... but if you get 3000 entries from [email protected], [email protected] .... [email protected] then you can guess something's up. You could use a random sequencer to give you a random name @mydomainname.com but it'll still be pretty obvious that something's not right, especially if they all come in at the same time (I'm assuming they're using a script to enter 3700 times, not manually entering it themselves).

As far as MSE is concerned, they could be tracking the referring URL so when you submit the form it detects the page you came from and submits that with the form, but if they're using a script of some type I would imagine the referring URL wouldn't be MSE ... so I'm not really sure how they came to that assertion.

I wonder if they suddenly got an influx of entries after it was posted on MSE and they just made that assumption, I'm not realyl sure how they would definitively know it was from an MSE user.
  • RahvenRahven Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Gotcha - apologies, I think I misread and assumed it was an email entry comp rather than a webpage.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    5K Posts
    Forumite
    I wonder if they suddenly got an influx of entries after it was posted on MSE and they just made that assumption, I'm not realyl sure how they would definitively know it was from an MSE user.
    The chancer has a domain that looks like e.g. FredMSE.com and uses that for all the comps they find on MSE?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals