Is this a scammer?

Options
lifebegins
lifebegins Posts: 136 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've been a member of ebay for ages but haven't sold anything for a couple of years.
I'm having a clear out and have listed a couple of new thnigs not used in a building project- they are new but dusty packaging etc. Bought for a few hundred originally.

I've listed them as collection only as don't want the hassle of posting fairly large but potentially fragile items.

I received this private message from someone who joined ebay yesterday (!) - which is my first alarm bell.

"Hi there I would really like to bid on your item but I cannot drive to collect. Would you accept my bid if I sent a courier to collect or if I paid you some extra that you could drop it at a local shop who would let the courier pick it up from them. I hope you can allow me to do so as I have back problems which makes driving long distances unbearable. I look forward to your kind response"

Is this likely to be a scam, and how should I reply? I can't work out how it can be a scam but it feels a bit odd. . I've asked for cash on collection in the ad but had to tick paypal as well as the system wouldn't let me do otherwise and I guess this guy would have to pay via paypal.

How widespread is scamming on ebay now? I started selling bits 15 years ago and had no problems then.
What would you seasoned ebayers do? Am I being paranoid?

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So they arrange the courier and you have no proof of delivery. Paypal refunds them when they say not delivered and you cannot prove otherwise.

Just tell them sorry but cash on pickup only.
    Pants
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Not just the above.

Consider what would happen if the item arrives damaged. You don't have a contract with the carrier, the buyer is covered by eBay/Paypal for a full refund.

If you are going to carrier it, then do it yourself and maintain control.
  • lifebegins
    Options
    Thanks both, message sent. I have emphasised cash on collection, hopefully this is the safest option for sellers?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If they were genuine they would be happy to pay via bank transfer...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Ting-Tang
    Ting-Tang Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Not necessarily a scammer but cash is certainly king for this kind of thing.
    Definitely say no to the Paypal / Courier scenario.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why this is a really bad idea is alle xplained here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently purchased a large item from Ebay collection only.
    After a few messages with the seller I arranged a collection price from a courier and paid for the item, the seller then sent me a Paypal invoice for the courier bill, plus a bit more for his trouble.
    The seller them paid for the delivery, this is important as it gives the seller and the buyer protection.
    The item arrived a couple of days later, well wrapped and we left each other good feed back.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    If they were genuine they would be happy to pay via bank transfer...
    I'm genuine but I wouldn't be happy sending a bank transfer to someone who I don't know.
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could be a scammer.

Last year I advertised a table and chairs on Gumtree on behalf of my brother and he received a text message, of similar vein, asking if a courier could pick them up as they were for his cousin who was in a wheelchair and couldn't get out to see the items etc. He would pay by bank transfer. Alarm bells rang as I had read something about this before.

I quickly did a search and found that this was a big scam which was happening and that the bank transfer could be reversed which is crazy. Needless to say, he didn't go ahead with the sale.

Apparently this was happening with cars and they were being quickly shipped abroad and the money was transferred back to the scammer. I don't understand how bank transfers can be reversed. It doesn't seem to make any sense in the name of security of funds.

I've just found a thread on MSE about this from a couple of years ago. Some people are saying that bank transfer is brilliant but, apparently, this can be reversed by the buyer although I don't know the ins and outs of this. Also good and bad can comment on here so we need to be aware that not everything is good advice.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5287559
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought the same, a dodgy bank transfer could be reclaimed quite easily.

Others disgree though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure