New Post Advanced Search

My water bill must be too high right??! :(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
11 replies 5.2K views
brisck1brisck1 Forumite
117 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Hi everyone,
I just moved into a new flat a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to sort out all my bills and stuff over that time and have finally got one left to sort out - WATER!

After ringing the Southwest Water company (Devon) I was quoted a huge bill which worked out at £48 per month over 8 months - I knew water rates were high down here but I wasnt expecting that much!

Im currently trying to get a meter fitted but I just want to make sure if this is right and if not what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Replies

• deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask a neighbour and ask what they are paying.

Seems waer is always the last bill to be sorted in my experience everyone seems to forget it !
  • MurtleMurtle Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Water is based on the rateable value of your property, and I understand costal areas have higher prices (cause you're on the coast?!). Ask a neighbour as mentioned what theirs is. If it's incorrect then contact the water board and explain, they should re-issue a new bill.

Good luck
  • brisck1brisck1 Forumite
    117 posts
    Well I had a chat with my brother earlier and he was pretty shocked lol. He lives in a two bedroom house and pays £15-20 a month!! He's in the same town and higher value property! Im only in a rented small one bed flat, the only difference is he has a meter and I dont... :(
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you own another property with the same water co, you might be still paying some off on the old bill ?
  • brisck1brisck1 Forumite
    117 posts
    nah this is the first time i've moved out on my own
  • Norma_DesmondNorma_Desmond Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live on the coast - 4 bed, 2 bath house and *only* pay around £27 per month - yours does sound excessive brisck!
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • gatitagatita Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    NOTHING would surprise me with Southwest Water, in any other country they would be had up for theft! I live in Devon, one person, small property and have to try and find £35 each month. What I find iniquitous is the sewerage charge! my last bill was £41 for sewerage and £20 for water........... it just beggars belief.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • withabixwithabix Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Unfortunately it isn't your water company who are to blame, it is OFWAT and the government.

How do you think the water companies are supposed to pay for OFWAT-imposed water and sewer system and treatment upgrades other than by charging their customers???

Anyway, a good point for the future: 2 or less occupants of a property - GET A METER FITTED (it's free - you ask your water company to fit one)!!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, £48/month for eight months, but it is probably pays for one year, so you pay nothing from December-March. In effect, that is really £32/month.

But a water meter will, almost certainly, be cheaper. Get a meter fitted for free and you have one year to decide if it is better for you. If it is not, just tell the Water Authority that you want to revert to Rateable Value.

However, as you are in a flat, there may be problems fitting a meter - your water supply may not be separate from neighbours, or there may be difficulties in finding a suitable location for the meter.
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • gatitagatita Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Iankirk, I AM on a meter.............. the Lord only knows what it would be if I were not, and I still think it is dreadfully unfair that the people of Devon and Cornwall have to pay ALL the costs of cleaning our beaches. The water companies should NEVER have been privatised, but now the mess has been made, the government should subsidise these astronomical charges
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support