Bush for front garden

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
4 replies 1.2K views
Jsnb88Jsnb88 Forumite
43 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
After living in flats for the start of my life living on my own I have finally purchased a house, i know nothing about gardening, I am after a small shrub/plant.
The front of my house is concrete with 3 x diamond holes, I plan to gravel this area so I am after 3 plants to put there that will look neat and tidy and are minimal effort to maintain.
I have time on my side so could get some seeds that I can order offline and plant, and advice appreciated

Replies

• Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are such a lot of variables it's hard to know where to start. First off, establish your soil type ( acid or alkali ), this will suggest which plants will do well. You can buy a soil testing kit for a couple of quid from any garden centre.

Next, aspect - is the area in shade, full sun, morning sun, evening sun ?

Next, what do you want ? Striking foliage, colourful flowers, nice scent, evergreen ?

Try having a play around on the RHS site : https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/shrubs

This might give you some pointers to get you started. Hope this helps.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • Thanks will take a look
  • edited 21 September 2017 at 11:25PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 September 2017 at 11:25PM
    Three holes in concrete doesn't give you a lot of scope, or perhaps, much impact, but it's what you have, for now at least.

Improve the soil in the holes by working-in some bought soil improver and adding a suitable amount of blood, fish & bone or similar slow release fertilizer.

If you want the planting to look good all year round, go for 3 evergreen shrubs which could include a yew tree that you'll prune to keep within bounds. Other evergreens include good old viburnum tinus and variegated eleagnus or holly varieties. They'll all need and take some pruning and they won't be too fussy about the type of soil.

Three shrubs might be just a little boring, so if there's room around the bottom of these, you could then add seasonal flowering plants, like pansies, primulas, bellis daisies etc, or maybe just a ring of carpeting plants like campanulas, erigeron karvinskianus or bugle to cover the bare soil.

If you go for shher flower power with deciduous and perennial plants that put on a strong show, rather than evergreens, you'll have colour for maybe half the year, but the rest of the time these beds will be pretty dead-looking, unless you are prepared to do high maintenance with bulbs annuals etc to fill-in the gap times.
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are more likely to buy shrubs as plants, rather than seeds, as most are grown from cuttings.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals