Debt Free Year

edited 10 December 2019 at 10:08PM in Debt Free Diaries
3.1K replies 230.2K views

Replies

• DebtFreeDuoDebtFreeDuo Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You are making progress with your finances, cutting your access to credit will help, just aim to pay minimums and add as little as possible to your total for this month.

What works best for you on the weight front? Its not impossible to lose 9lbs quickly but its not particularly healthy to do so, do you have any wiggle room? I assume you will have a fitting before the big day so any adjustment can be made?

Try to focus on the things you can realistically change to try to not feel too overwhelmed, I find I get hung up on things that I can't change which just makes me feel even worse.

What a crazy time to have to empty your classroom, on top of everything else, I completely see why you are feeling overwhelmed with everything you have going on. Small steps.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The dress is the one I wore in Florida so it has to fit. No room for adjustments.
    I’m going to have to be drastic and do a strict detox to hit the target, which I know won’t be good in the long run. Needs must. I know it’s my own lack of motivation.
    September 6th 2017 - Updated December 2019
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £5,362 Total = £25,330 :(£5,362 79% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071 = 2020 = £4400.90

Decluttering target 2361/3500 items
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicnak wrote: »
    PI’m struggling to control what is happening with finances at the minute, but I am taking action on what I can control.
    This week I have:
    Lowered Halifax Cc from £3250 down to £500
    Lowered Barclays Cc from £6000 to £2000.

That’s £6750 less credit available to me in case I splurge. That’s not changeable in the next 6 months either.

Good move, it will remove temptation :T.
    Work is manic. We’re moving schools in a week so I need to pack up my classroom too!

Ouch what timing just before Christmas :mad:.
    Losing the weight would help, but I’m ok for gone for that to happen overnight. At this rate, I won’t get in my dress. Like seriously won’t. I need to lose 9lbs in 15 days.

That’s 4 1/2 a week, which is a huge ask.

You might need a liquid diet to manage that :eek:. I lost 6lb in a week when I had appendicitis, but I wouldn't wish that on you :eek:.

You could maybe replace two meals a day with protein shakes? I'm not sure how else you could lose 9lb in 15 days unless you run a marathon every day :o.

I hope you feel better about things soon, you do have a lot on your plate.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £1,500/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I am hitting it hard in terms of food and exercise. I actually need to eat more, which is such a strange concept. I only eat around 700 calories- 1000 calories per day, when I need to be eating about 1500. I've eaten around 1200 today, which is well over normal so will see how I do. Once I have started to make movement with weight, I can swap to shakes.

I am reading everything everyone is writing, I am just not posting or feeling able to tackle everything like I have been doing.

Today I needed a few bits from L i d l so did the basket shop that I normally do. £10.42 and that included a £2.39 sushi pack as I needed to consume calories and quick including carbs.

Credit limit cut down like I said and I will cancel the barclaycard when it was paid off. Refund on car will take 10 days apparently so I am not very happy with that. Apparently the new car company paid by cheque so they always wait for it to clear.

I finish work next Friday so I just need to ensure that I have completely packed up my room by then. It's going to be a busy week.

I will set some hard targets in January. I need to see progress and fast again otherwise it will be too tempting to go off the rails again.
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £5,362 Total = £25,330 :(£5,362 79% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000

• enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks,

I am already aware that my spending is stress related and that I need it to get the high. I had a high powered job, which I quit, but i'm still working under immense stress and want it to end. I can't see a way out without getting rid of these debts.

I think it is deep routed with my emotional well being.
    The last time I got this low, I bought a mac on finance.

If you re read this quote from the first page of your diary you will see how closely linked your emotions are with your spending behaviour. It is very common when losing your way to say what the hell and have a right spend up. Same goes for dieting.

The stress you are feeling from money being out of control to hectic work schedules, Christmas and wedding arrangements are making you think that if you spend money you will feel better when in reality all you will feel us guilt at the knowledge you have moved your DFD further away and the chance to reduce your working hours. If you have done this for 15 years it is unsurprising when you hit an emotional low the urge to spend is at its highest. Resist.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you re read this quote from the first page of your diary you will see how closely linked your emotions are with your spending behaviour. It is very common when losing your way to say what the hell and have a right spend up. Same goes for dieting.

The stress you are feeling from money being out of control to hectic work schedules, Christmas and wedding arrangements are making you think that if you spend money you will feel better when in reality all you will feel us guilt at the knowledge you have moved your DFD further away and the chance to reduce your working hours. If you have done this for 15 years it is unsurprising when you hit an emotional low the urge to spend is at its highest. Resist.

Thank you.

I’m really trying to resist. Just taking each day as it happens.

• Pauper1Pauper1 Forumite
    368 posts
    Good luck! I'm sure you can do this, you're resisting so far. Do you use My Fitness Pal to track the calories? It really works well for me, although I don't think I've ever managed to lose more than 3lbs a week.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £10,717.17 [STRIKE]£39,349.41[/STRIKE] Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek: Now aiming for Summer 2019
  • ladymayladymay Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I agree with Pauper1 - I'd highly recommend MyFitnessPal! I like how it tracks macro nutrients as well as calories, and because I'm really boring I count it as my 'body finances' :p

But losing that much weight so quickly will be a) temporary and b) incredibly difficult. Please be careful x
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • TheMoonandBackTheMoonandBack Forumite
    124 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Keep going Nicnak, simply keep putting one front in front of the other and go a day at a time.
    Cutting down the credit limits is a good move. You’re doing everything right, I am sure you will get through everything that is currently stressing you.:)
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on :wink:
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep going Nicnak, simply keep putting one front in front of the other and go a day at a time.
    Cutting down the credit limits is a good move. You’re doing everything right, I am sure you will get through everything that is currently stressing you.:)

Thank you, I just need to keep going like you said.
    ladymay wrote: »
    I agree with Pauper1 - I'd highly recommend MyFitnessPal! I like how it tracks macro nutrients as well as calories, and because I'm really boring I count it as my 'body finances' :p

But losing that much weight so quickly will be a) temporary and b) incredibly difficult. Please be careful x

Yes, I know. I do My fitness pal when I am fully focussed which has not been recently.
    Pauper1 wrote: »
    Good luck! I'm sure you can do this, you're resisting so far. Do you use My Fitness Pal to track the calories? It really works well for me, although I don't think I've ever managed to lose more than 3lbs a week.

Yep, I do track when I am focussed, which is at the minute.

I resisted a gorgeous homemade yule log, and also a shortbread that was homemade. I was good.

This journal isn't about weight loss though, and I might get in trouble posting about it. I will do drastic liquid and quick diets in the last seven days, and then actively manage myself over Christmas to control what comes back on.

Today I needed to buy Christmas cards for the family. I spent £10 on personal ones. not a huge spend, but not a NSD either. It was only cards I needed, and I went to a cheaper shop rather than just going in Tesco and it costing bits and pieces.

I'll still be taking each step. I have lowered my targets, and have to acknowledge that no extra debts will be paid off this month, it will all be wedding payments. I think that is what was upsetting me. I will start 2018 with more debt than I have now, but a huge % less then I started the year with. I knew this would happen, just feel so bad that it is.