Wrong number plate!

Hi

My friend paid for a ticket via phone for a ncp car park. Unfortunately she put in the wrong number plate (her other car) so received a 'parking charge notice' through the post with pictures from the ANPR cameras. She has evidence on bank statement that she paid the right amount. Just wrong vehicle. How does she go about appealing this successfully?
Thank you in advance

Replies

• Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best advice is in the sticky thread at the top, should be easy to see if as long as the correct words are used.

Another bit of advice would be for your friend to register on here, as this can turn into a game of Chinese whispers, and the outcome may end up being money flowing to the coffers of the parking company - not good.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Same as all BPA member PCNs, appeal.

Same as the earlier NCP postal PCN thread by 'Moochover', that you will no doubt have read before you posted, when reading the forum looking for similar PCNs. They now use POFA Notice to keeper letters (as you will have seen in that thread) and can hold the keeper liable unless it was a station car park, if it was then they can't.

The appeal must NOT Be about putting in the wrong VRN. That would lose at POPLA - the NEWBIES thread tells you how to win.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ok so think I understand was just wondering what reason for appeal she should use if can't mention the VRN. Does she just attach bank statement details as proof of payment and nothing else? As that shows date and place.
    We have defo read all the threads just wanted to make sure she words this right. Thanks again
  • edited 1 September 2017 at 2:40PM
    UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2017 at 2:40PM
    We have defo read all the threads just wanted to make sure she words this right.
    The words to use are already written for you you to copy and paste - those in blue text in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1.

It won't do the trick first time around (very few succeed at the initial appeal stage), but the second stage appeal at POPLA gives you a better chance. If NCP reject the initial appeal, they will provide you with a POPLA code for that next stage.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PPC will just state the driver didn't abide by their T&C's and they have no record of that VRN entering the car park give us your cash.

The fact that a statement shows time was purchased won't cut it.

When you get to POPLA you sling in everything you can, it's up to the dozy PPC to defend every point you make, but mitigation doesn't work, it should do at PPC stage but that's not lucrative.
  • Guys_DadGuys_Dad Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the trickier reasons to appeal.

You have to admit knowing about the t&c as you are basing your appeal on having paid.

That would almost certainly identify the driver.

If you had made a small transposition in the number or typed an O instead of a 0, then that could be shown to be a small slip of the finger.

However you put in a completely different registration number and how do you prove that the vehicle was not parked there as well as the vehicle you were in.

By all means, go for the appeal but I suspect that to get the PPC to cancel or to be leaned on to cancel would require them to commit an act of generosity currently alien to their business ethos.

It could be likened to turning up at an airport, going to the Easyjet desk with your checked in paperwork but your brother's passport.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've edited my prior post as I agree with the 2 subsequent ones from FJ and GD. It does narrow down your options to show bank statements. Just go with the bog-standard initial appeal - get your POPLA code and take it from there.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide