IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

2x DVLA FINES TAKEN TO COURT - STATUTORY DECLARATIONS

rebeccalouise79
rebeccalouise79 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 31 August 2017 at 3:17PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I was caught on an ANPR camera for not having road tax which was due on the 30/06/2016. The notifications were sent to my old address, I updated my license but overlooked changing my V5 (I know terrible mistake but I didnt know at the time I had to do this alongside my licence). However following this charge I was contacted at my NEW address by past due credit at the end of November 2016. They bought to my attention I had no tax on my car and I had to pay a £80.00 charge (which I paid straight away). I also paid for my tax online straight away. While I was on the phone to past due I asked if there was anything else I needed to do in regards to the charge and the DVLA, to which they said no. Fast forward today and I am missing £620.00 out of my wage (utter shock). I contacted my HR dept and they said I have an attachment of earnings (more shock). I contacted the central finance team to be told that I have been taken to court for two fines, I am unsure of one of them is in relation to the above (how would I find out?) . Anyway. I cannot believe this has happened to me and I have been issued with a CCJ and an AOE.

I have booked a statutory declaration at the court on the 18/09/2017 to advise I had no idea the case was being made against me. I assumed from the contact with Past due that my address record with them and the DVLA would have been noted somewhere, irrespective of the up to date log book.

I am hoping one of the charges is in relation to the above payment I made. If not it means two new charges. How would I find out if it is or not?

Also what chance to I have in fighting this case based on the fact I had paid a fine already and told past due I have a different address. Surely this would prompt any correspondence to be sent to my current address?

**UPDATE, spoke to DVLA and there were three fines in total 1x in relation to the one I paid above, and then two further cases. But the two further cases went straight to court. By the time past due had contacted me about the first case, it was too late for the two other cases, for me to tax the car before hand, as the original offence was on the 01/7/2016***

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Approach your MP for support, first. They will be HORRIFIED and must support you against this scam and will probably know about parking cowboy firms.
    I contacted the central finance team to be told that I have been taken to court for two fines, I am unsure of one of them is in relation to the above (how would I find out?) .

Sounds like private parking firms in a scam. I don't think it's the same thing as the DVLA thing you described, and a statutory declaration costs you money, does it not? So that's not the way forward.

Just do a credit search using Experian, or similar, and you will see. I bet it's a private parking scumbag.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi, its for car tax, not parking
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    think you got the year wrong in your update
  • Yes sorry, changed to 2016
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Wont going back to court just cause more issues? You were guilty so the amounts will still stand. Possibly just create a new payment plan?

But the amounts will be the same?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• My issue is the CCJS against me now, affecting my future. Not the fines.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 10:11PM
    My issue is the CCJS against me now, affecting my future. Not the fines.

We know. And we know how to set aside a CCJ. So please answer our questions.

Who has those CCJs, check your credit record or we are guessing.

You could simply email the CCBC at Northampton, like this person did, and ask about the claims/CCJs:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5702742

We need to know what this is about, and who the CCJs are with, to assist you to set them aside (which doesn't mean pay them, because that leaves them on your credit record).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I don't even know if I have any CCJS, all I know is that I have an attachment of earnings. I checked my credit file and there is nothing against it. I have no paperwork for the summons or any DVLA related literature as it had been sent to my old address. The first charge, was sent to me from the debt collector. So they had clearly done a search to find me. If I go to court to do the statutory declaration, do I risk the DVLA fining for not updating my address? I am not so much worried about the fine, more so the affect on my credit rating. If I could get a better settlement on the fees, considering I paid the last one so quickly and taxed my car straight away. Would this help?
  • No one can persuade a court to issue an attachment of earnings order without a proven unpaid debt. There will be one or more judgment s somewhere...
  • The claims will be in respect of unpaid fines from a Magistrates' (criminal) Court, not a County Court Judgement from a County (civil) Court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure