anyone tried an air flosser thingy?

my dentist keeps telling me i should use those little interdental brushes and i have tried so hard to use them but putting a metal brush in my mouth just sends shivers down my spine. i have tried the plastic ones but they are not brilliant.

I was looking in boots at the air flossers but they are not cheap, £70 upwards , so wondered if anyone has used one and what their thoughts were??
thanks

Comments

• SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    I use a waterpik water flosser (not the cordless version so can't vouch for that one). It takes some getting used and was a bit messy at first but now but I love it and dilute a little mouthwash in the water. I spent about £40-£50 on Amazon I think? There are a lot of reviews on Amazon of those and the various air flossers for you to get an idea what might work for you.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    They are not as effective as using a tepe brush but I recommend the waterpiks for those who have arthritis etc and can't manage tepe brushes.
    Airflossers again are not very effective but may be better than nothing.
    It all depends on how much you want to clean effectively and what signs of gum disease you have.
  • Thanks both for the replies. I will research a bit more I think
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My dentist suggested using the little brushes, but as my teeth are uneven and my mouth quite small, I was terrified of getting one stuck.

It turned out that the receptionist sold me the wrong size (two sizes had similar colours), but I've not fancied trying again.
  • I have just seen the dentist and was told that I have mild gum disease. He made me feel pathetic when I said that I absolutely hate using the tepe brushes, they make me cringe, I would rather stick my fingers in my eyes.

I do have a waterpix flosser and love it, it makes your mouth feel so clean. However the dentist said that air/water flossers on their own are not enough and nothing does the job as well as the interdental brushes.

I admit that I have got out of the habit of using the waterpix every day so I am back on a new regime of persevering with the brushes on an evening and using the waterpix on a morning. Back at the dentist in three months.

My advice? If you can afford a water flosser, get one. But if you already have gum disease or dental problems it might not be enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure