edited 30 August 2017 at 5:48AM in Old Style MoneySaving
22 replies 1.9K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 August 2017 at 5:48AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Wednesday 30 August 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Very cloudy, dull and overcast start to the day here, the air turned much cooler last night and we thought we might get some rain during the night, this hasn't appeared - but think it will at some point today. I have washing to put out on the line, so I'll gamble and put it out, hoping that if it dries before it rains DS2 will get it in.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, he wants a lift to the gym this morning, so he'll need to be up and ready when I'm ready to leave.

Dinner last night was small portion of steak each, kebabs, jacket potato, beans/cheese, LO HM coleslaw, boiled egg, side salad, was all eaten and enjoyed, ice cream for dessert. Was a bit cross with myself as I'd cooked the steak - timed it, so it wasn't over cooked, got it out to rest whilst serving up the rest of the food, then decided at DS2's thought that it wasn't cooked enough, so put it back in the pan, and it wasn't spoilt but cooked more than we like it, why do we question ourselves! Tonight dinner will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - I'm working extra on a Wednesday afternoon, so work a full day, so need something reasonably quick and easy.

Yesterday work was either all or nothing, busier than I thought especially first thing, as one of my colleague's was poorly and although did get in to work was late, then another who we expected had taken a late days' holiday but no-one told us ..... so quite a hectic start to the day but we got there .....eventually. So I have no clue what today will bring. I'm doing a slightly different job today, working in an office on my own so don't mind that at all, although a lot of my colleagues don't like it.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

It's a bit cloudy out there this morning but should brighten up later. I have the summer quilt from DDs bed in the machine, hoping to get it dry outside. I decided to change quilts whilst I was making up the bed as I don't think she'll be staying in the next few weeks.

I did a pile of ironing when I got home and 2 loads of washing done, it should be dry when I get home today.

Had a use up of all the veggies in the fridge in a stir fry last night so will have to do some shopping later, the last of the salad stuff has been used for lunch today, the fridge is looking a little bare!

Well done Nanny, what a lovely feeling.
    tru - hope your hip is better this morning.

Happy Wednesday everyone. Take care. XX
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning and thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I like working on my own too but most of the time I'm in a massive open plan building.

It has started raining so I'll probably drip all over the office today. Washing in the machine but will have to stay there and I'll put it on the racks later.

DM will collect the death certificate today, which will enable her to make the funeral arrangements.

DS is enjoying his volunteering job at the museum and art gallery, though is quite tired and snappy.

I must get ready for work.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • HollyharveyHollyharvey Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc.

After a couple of better nights sleep I'm back to being awake at 5.00am and not able to get back to sleep. I gave up and got up and read but feel exhausted now :(.

I still haven’t got around to doing my housework. The weather was really good again yesterday so I decided to make the most of it as the forecast is for rain all day today, it's raining now so I really will need to get the cleaning done today.

The hairdressers cancelled my appointment yesterday but didn’t tell me until I turned up there, so I won’t be going back. I have been going there for three years now. They said that my normal stylist has left, so I now need to find another salon.

I want to make a cottage pie today, and portion some up for the freezer as well. Now we are almost into September I think I will start to want more warming meals and I like to have a few things in the freezer to use as quick ready meals if I don’t feel like cooking. I’ve got some onions and carrots that need using up so they can go in it.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone.

Overnight rain though the forecast is for a sunny day, maybe!

Both meetings yesterday were truly boring and unnecessary, and I've got another longer one this morning. For this one I'm in a different place from most others (video conferencing) so my sttention may well wander. :o

Last night my lovely neighbour came round to sort out my back lawn. He first strimmed the edges and the dragged his petrol mower through the big barn to cut the grass. It looks so good now. The ground is still sodden and has been for weeks so I haven't been able to take my wee electric mower over it. I'm so relieved, he got a wee dram for his bother.

All the doggie and horsey stories are so nice to read but I can't contribute any. My only interaction with horses is when I go outside to feed half apples to a couple which are being ridden outside on the track every so often. There's a stable not too far from me so sometimes the horses are ridden past. As for dogs, there are loads round here, mostly working ones

Congrats to Nannywidow, what an achievement.

Right, off to start my day! I hope everyone enjoys a very happy Wednesday.
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Congratulations [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]nannywindow :j :T
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]camelot[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] It's still sore but at least it's easier to walk this morning. The muscle has tensed and I can't seem to unknot it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The first part of my planned day isn't going to happen – it's raining so an early walk wasn't looking too appealing, but Scampi took one look out of the back door and headed straight back to bed :D I'm not going to argue with him, I woke up at 12.30 and was awake til 3 so I could do with a bit of lazing around this morning. It doesn't matter if we go a bit later but he's much calmer if we go out early and he doesn't bounce around the house as much when we get back, lol. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No housework today, I did it all yesterday so just work and a walk to do this morning. I'm stopping at 12pm to cook, miss tru will be here for food and telly :D
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Was rudely awakened this morning by the chaps turning up to do the driveway at 7 :o mad dash to get up and dressed and move the cars, they were supposed to turn up yesterday but had a problem and promised today instead, I half expected them not to turn up today so it was all a bit of a surprise and a rush this morning !

I feel for the neighbours :o but I hope it will be over sooner rather than later and they are going great guns already.

Did not get round to stripping the beds yesterday so was going to this morning but its gone very wintery out there and looks like rain so will leave it till tomorrow when its supposed to be nice.

Need to have a tidy round and nip out and get some money for the chaps and more coffee and maybe some cake for them.

Nannywindow congrats to you it must be such a great feeling xx

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and look in the freezer after this.

Have good days all xx
  • silver-oldiesilver-oldie Forumite
    916 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

Congratulations Nannywidow
    tru - pleased your hip is a little better this morning.

Forecast for rain today, it started last night, woke me, and is still raining now.
    So have no excuse not to get on with some housework. Lots of paperwork to sort, I'm sure it multiplies on it's own when no one is looking.
    Still thinking about buying a dehydrator, it's a big expense and don't want to make a mistake and buy one that isn't suitable for us.

Think another cuppa is required

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    First rainy day of the holiday so I'm not complaining.We sat on Puckpool beach for most of yesterday afternoon and it really was delightful.I managed to get a good bit of reading.Today DD is staying with the dogs this morning and my son-in-law and I and the boys are going into Newport.

The boys all need haircuts before going back to school next week, and I want to have a mooch around the CS there. After lunch we will have a ride over to Osbourne house as I have EH tickets with the boys all on and my DD comes in free as my 'carer' so only son-in-law to pay for and DGS G/F,we will have a look around as we do every year and we always find something new to look at..We have booked our last nights meal for Thursday night so will be using up the stuff in the fridge and freezer tonight for dinner. Can't believe how quickly time has flown this year.

Hope everyone has a good day whatever you are doing,even a bit of rain is nice to freshen up the air a bit

Take care all

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Dull and overcast here today and so much cooler, still waiting for the promised rain though! I shall be making apple jelly today, cooked the apples which we collected on our walk yesterday afternoon last night and dripped them through the jelly bag and have 2 and a half pints of juice to process. I love the way that the juice which is cloudy and beige turns the most gorgeous shell pink when the sugar is added, so pretty!

He Who Knows continues to recover but still can't drive so I'm taking myself off somewhere on the bus this morning to see if I can find some long sleeved jumpers that are not too heavy before I get cabin fever indoors.

Have a good day all xxx
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Much cooler this morning after the heat of the last few days. Quick visit as our leccy is due to go off soon, we had a letter last week to say it will be off from 8.30 to 5.30, possibly longer so flasks are full ready for cuppas. We are using it as an excuse to go out for lunch as obviously don't want to open the fridge :D
    Many congratulations Nannywindow what a good feeling.
    Glad your hip is a bit better TRU and likewise HWK MrsLW enjoy your downtime ;)

Have a good day folks x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides