Changing to BT or PlusNet???

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 1.2K views
hudswellhudswell Forumite
252 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I'm having dreadful problems with my current ADSL from TalkTalk (good day 0.3 Mb/s, bad day unusable). After numerous calls, 4 separate engineers visits (2 from T-Talk, 2 from Open Reach, none of whom can find any fault) it's still as bad**, so I'm going to switch providers and, in the process, upgrade to fibre (FTTC available).
For various reasons, I HAVE to retain our BT land-line (non-negotiable), so AFAIK this limits my choice to BT or PlusNet as a new provider (as P-Net have a 'broadband only / separate line rental' option).
My preference based on cost is BT, as they have deal (ending this week) which includes a £150 reward card - greatly reducing the overall cost for 1 year, as I already pay them line rental.
From looking at various sites, both providers have reviews ranging from good via average to horror.
So, fundamental question - is BT OK as a provider or would I be better with PlusNet?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

PS
** One O-Reach engineer thinks it may be an issue with T-Talk's equipment in the local exchange, but trying to convince T-T to check it out is hen's teeth time.
May contain nuts. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Thanks to all posters :D

Replies

• What speeds should you expect at your premises?

BT always have a "deal" on. Don't let the "ending this week" tactic pressure you.

I'm curious as to why you have to have your landline with BT. This can make getting broadband more expensive from other providers than need be.

As for the comment about TalkTalk having a fault with their equipment, there are test access modules connected to all their kit so this would have been used before any engineers are sent out to your address.
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Landlines are not BT's prerogative.

As long as any provider has a network into their local exchange you can join them. Look at MSE info strip under UTILITIES at the top of the page, and enter your phone number.

If you go with any provider you will have to be moved to the newer green box for fiber so you will have to have the master socket upgraded.

To be honest having been with both BT and Plusnet, I preferred Plusnet.
    English based customer service against Indian Call centres for BT.

BT deals are good on paper at the beginning but will shoot up and be the most expensive in the following years with no good retention deals.

Plusnet can be better for prices and retention deals for the following years.

You don't have to keep the landline with BT. They don't OWN the line you can go with anybody else as long as they supply the exchange. Moving the landline to another provider can save you a lot of money on a combined provision deal.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • ScroungerScrounger Forumite
    823 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    hudswell wrote: »
    .So, fundamental question - is BT OK as a provider or would I be better with PlusNet?
    I've been with both and IME BT is better (faster, better router supplied and other minor admin problems with Plusnet).

I would definitely go with the BT offer. After a year (when the BT discount ends) then move over to Plusnet.

Scrounger
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (English based customer service against Indian Call centres for BT.)

Not if you use the contact us forms ,or the online users forum with intervention by top level CS .

(BT deals are good on paper at the beginning but will shoot up and be the most expensive in the following years with no good retention deals.)

Again not true as many on here will testify . As with all ISPs you negotiate .My last three end of contracts with BT have all resulted in paying less .

Been with both BT and PN and many many other ISPs from the beginning of public internet .
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    hudswell wrote: »
    I HAVE to retain our BT land-line (non-negotiable), so AFAIK this limits my choice to BT or PlusNet as a new provider (as P-Net have a 'broadband only / separate line rental' option).
    Do you mean you have to continue to pay BT retail to provide a voice service on the line to your house?

Why? All of the big ISPs will provide a voice service on your phone line.

If you have a specific reason why you need to retain BT as the voice service provider, there are more options than BT and Plusnet - I have my line rental with BT and get my broadband from A&A, but they are expensive. As you talk about "reward cards", you seem more interested than price than quality of service, so they probably aren't suitable for you, but serve as an example of providers beyond BT and Plusnet.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals