Upgrading to bt infinity what does it involve

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
2 replies 699 views
cherry76cherry76 Forumite
770 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Currently have bt unlimited bb and thinking of upgrading to bt infinity. The set up is main bt socket is in hall and router and power point are in lounge using a long cable to connect bt phone line to router and the cable goes underneath the carpet. With bt infinity will I have one router with modem and will one power point be sufficient. Also will need a long cable approx 5 mts to connect from main socket to router. I connect wirelessly and the pic is in the bedroom. Is this doable as do not want too many cables? Can one also go back to adsl afterwards? The price is good now but it doubles up after 12 month. I am a low user. Thanks

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These days you just swap the old router for the new router on the day, the leaflet in the box explains it

It used to involve an engineer visit and a new faceplate on the socket but this is no longer needed

It needs to be plugged into the main socket but an extension lead should be fine

You can swap back
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One BT Home Hub one power point .

Cable runs from BT master socket to router no other cable required if not using ethernet .
    Possible that your current long cable would need upgrading but wait and see if problems in use .

WiFi should reach bedroom no problem .

Contract comes to an end then you renegotiate a price with BT as per multiple posts on the forum .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals