Forum Home» Freebies (no spend required)

Royal Mail Monitoring and Posting Panel - Page 416

New Post Advanced Search

Royal Mail Monitoring and Posting Panel

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Freebies (no spend required)
4.4K replies 504.2K views

Replies

• silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    candjsmum said:
    Has anyone posted a parcel using the new mailbag system please. I'm a bit confused what we do with the manifest? I assume the post office signs it, do we then keep it or do they?
    Thanks in advance 
    I sent my first mailbag yesterday, didn't know what to expect, but when I handed over the manifest it was scanned, I was asked how many bags I had, then the manifest was stamped and handed back to me, then I was told to just leave the bag in a corner. I have 2 post offices local to me so I will see what happens when I use the other one. 
    This is probably an example of PO staff not knowing the procedure.  
    When I asked TNS about getting a proof of posting (which I always used to get when posting a cube before - either with APL or stamped) they said it wasn't needed and that the manifest was meant to be retained by the PO.    When I posted using a sack, the PO certainly didn't even look at the manifest while I was there though it is clear from the document itself that they are supposed to sign it.

As an aside, this new process saves TNS costs in terms of paying us £2 for each parcel as they can pay £2 and we put 2 parcels in the sack.  They also don't have to pay the extra pence when we bought APLs.
    On the other hand, we have the extra work involved in completing the manifest and do not necessarily save any time in the PO.
    Agreed, double the effort for less than half the return. Partly the reason I’ve said I can’t do parcels until after lockdown.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • edited 31 January at 11:24AM
    MDMDMDMD Forumite
    890 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 January at 11:24AM
    silvercar said:
    candjsmum said:
    Has anyone posted a parcel using the new mailbag system please. I'm a bit confused what we do with the manifest? I assume the post office signs it, do we then keep it or do they?
    Thanks in advance 
    I sent my first mailbag yesterday, didn't know what to expect, but when I handed over the manifest it was scanned, I was asked how many bags I had, then the manifest was stamped and handed back to me, then I was told to just leave the bag in a corner. I have 2 post offices local to me so I will see what happens when I use the other one. 
    When I asked TNS about getting a proof of posting (which I always used to get when posting a cube before - either with APL or stamped) they said it wasn't needed and that the manifest was meant to be retained by the PO.    When I posted using a sack, the PO certainly didn't even look at the manifest while I was there though it is clear from the document itself that they are supposed to sign it.

As an aside, this new process saves TNS costs in terms of paying us £2 for each parcel as they can pay £2 and we put 2 parcels in the sack.  They also don't have to pay the extra pence when we bought APLs.
    On the other hand, we have the extra work involved in completing the manifest and do not necessarily save any time in the PO.
    Agreed, double the effort for less than half the return. Partly the reason I’ve said I can’t do parcels until after lockdown.
    If anything it takes longer as my PO usually only has one counter open. I can’t use the self service machines so will have to queue up. 

I don’t understand why TNS said that “most Post Offices don’t require you to queue to drop off this type of items” when they have to scan the manifest at the counter.

• Abbafan1972Abbafan1972 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have checked my performance on the app and on the section "sent on planned date", I don't have any stars.

Could this be because I post my items the night before, as the post boxes I use all get emptied once a day 9am on weekdays and 7am on Saturday.   Surely I can't be expected to go to the post boxes before these times on the day they are due to go?
    Winging it since 1972

• edited 31 January at 1:35PM
    Rachel1640Rachel1640 Forumite
    40 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 31 January at 1:35PM
    Hi, sorry a few questions - when we have recorded the r-number/RFID of received items can we throw away the R-number Form? Do you have to post in the same postbox every time or does it have to be in a certain distance from your house? Under my contribution I have no stars for, "Percentage of items you posted with GPS verification". I log when I send an item when at the postbox, but have to select the location/time even though I'm connected to GPS as nothing was showing on the map despite having location settings on. I originally had to enter the postbox ID and just select this one each time, will this effect my position on the survey if it isn't connecting to GPS?
  • edited 31 January at 1:45PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    25.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 January at 1:45PM
    Hi, sorry a few questions - when we have recorded the r-number/RFID of received items can we throw away the R-number Form? Do you have to post in the same postbox every time or does it have to be in a certain distance from your house? Under my contribution I have no stars for, "Percentage of items you posted with GPS verification". I log when I send an item when at the postbox, but have to select the location/time even though I'm connected to GPS as nothing was showing on the map despite having location settings on. I originally had to enter the postbox ID and just select this one each time, will this effect my position on the survey if it isn't connecting to GPS?
    They ask you to hang onto things for a couple of weeks in case of queries, but I don’t bother. I write on them when they arrive so I know I’ve got the right day if I don’t log it straight away. 
    You can post in any postbox in your postcode area - I have about 5 or 6 that I use depending on my routine. So I’d use any of those in X28 but not X27, for example. I think the guidelines might be a bit broader than that, if you want to look it up on the guide/FAQ, but that’s what works for me. 
    I don’t take much notice of the stars, I don’t think they’re particularly accurate. At the moment they prefer people to use the app, but there’s no comeback if you don’t/can’t. That might change in future. 
    Have you made sure the app is fully up to date and can access locations? I find it goes a bit weird if the updates drop behind. Their help section also has information about location services. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MDMD said:
    silvercar said:
    candjsmum said:
    Thanks in advance 

If anything it takes longer as my PO usually only has one counter open. I can’t use the self service machines so will have to queue up. 

I don’t understand why TNS said that “most Post Offices don’t require you to queue to drop off this type of items” when they have to scan the manifest at the counter.

The PO staff do not have to scan the manifest at the counter.
    The manifest is put with the post bag (I ensured mine was securely tucked into the fastening) and I believe PO staff should scan the code before it is collected by RM but they could do a batch from different posters before RM collect.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MDMD said:
    silvercar said:
    candjsmum said:
    Thanks in advance 

The PO staff do not have to scan the manifest at the counter.
    The manifest is put with the post bag (I ensured mine was securely tucked into the fastening) and I believe PO staff should scan the code before it is collected by RM but they could do a batch from different posters before RM collect.
    If the PO you choose has a way of working where they scan at the counter, you have to comply. Otherwise if you dump and run, they will never scan your manifest as that isn’t their way of working.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • SaetanaSaetana Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have checked my performance on the app and on the section "sent on planned date", I don't have any stars.

Could this be because I post my items the night before, as the post boxes I use all get emptied once a day 9am on weekdays and 7am on Saturday.   Surely I can't be expected to go to the post boxes before these times on the day they are due to go?

Are you recording your items using the app at the exact time you post them?   If you are recording them at time of posting using the app then yes that is why you are getting zero stars for sent on planned date.  You are not expected to post them before 7am/9am but you are expected to post them on the correct day (Wednesday for example) or the same day the following week.- if you are recording them as posted the previous day then you are not sending your items on the planned date. 
    2020 Wins:
  • Abbafan1972Abbafan1972 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saetana said:

Are you recording your items using the app at the exact time you post them?   If you are recording them at time of posting using the app then yes that is why you are getting zero stars for sent on planned date.  You are not expected to post them before 7am/9am but you are expected to post them on the correct day (Wednesday for example) or the same day the following week.- if you are recording them as posted the previous day then you are not sending your items on the planned date. 
    Bit of a sticky situation then as Kantar ask you to record the exact time they are posted and I thought it would be pretty reasonable to have it in the postbox ready for collection in the morning.  I will have to start going out on a short walk in the morning and post it then.  I don't have a journey to work, as I did before, as I work from home. 
    Winging it since 1972